I got a reject!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Curly

Curly

My wife Marla is back to casting feathers blanks after stopping for a year and a half while we moved to Saskatoon. This Zen was destined for a reseller except there was a leak while in the mould and the tube got a fair bit of resin inside. Can't sell it because trying to get the cured resin out will scratch up the inside of the tube a little so it was destined for the trash. I claimed it and turned it for myself. I'm fine with a few never to be seen inner scratches. :) It is a Zen in Black Titanium, the feathers are Duck, Pheasant and Rooster. The black background is actually the black feathers from a Silver Pheasant not paint. It's the second pen I have turned since we left the West Coast. Felt good.

Attachments

• New Zen 1.JPG
    New Zen 1.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 453
  • New Zen 2.JPG
    New Zen 2.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 418
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

That is one fantastic pen! The gradient of color and the bursts of bright color are the stars here! The black Ti goes perfectly but does not overtake the blank.
Of course. It is expertly turned and finished!

Glad you both have settled in and have the shop up and running!

magpens

Wow that is a beautiful pen !!!

Please, can you complete the presentation and show us the scratches .....

Oh ... another thing ... I think you put the nib on the wrong end.

Last edited:

DJBPenmaker

My wife Marla is back to casting feathers blanks after stopping for a year and a half while we moved to Saskatoon. This Zen was destined for a reseller except there was a leak while in the mould and the tube got a fair bit of resin inside. Can't sell it because trying to get the cured resin out will scratch up the inside of the tube a little so it was destined for the trash. I claimed it and turned it for myself. I'm fine with a few never to be seen inner scratches. [emoji2] It is a Zen in Black Titanium, the feathers are Duck, Pheasant and Rooster. The black background is actually the black feathers from a Silver Pheasant not paint. It's the second pen I have turned since we left the West Coast. Felt good.
Fabulous pen, no wonder you made up an excuse to keep it for yourself[emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lorbay

Pete when you say scratches in the tube, do you mean in the brass tube?? What is the deal with scratches inside the tube. I guess if you are selling the cast blanks you are thinking the tubes should be untouched on the inside. But I am sure after the customer is done with it, it won't be scratch free.
Lin

robutacion

You know what they say, "one's man trash is someone else's treasure...!"

The pics are a little dark and difficult to see the feathers colours/details but that finish mate, is something else, stunning...!

Cheers
George

Curly

Thanks for the complements, my part was small.

Mal I like the tips of the feathers to be up when I'm writing, just as a quill would have been. It is aways personal preference though.

The scratches are inside the brass tube and yes most people will have marks inside when they are done. Selling however you need to present as perfect a blank as you can. Scratches, bits of paint or resin inside just give reason for some to complain. Same kind of person that fusses over their new 4x4's paint they are picking it up at the dealer and then promptly head out for a day of bush bashing and splashing through mud holes. :wink:

lorbay

Thanks for the complements, my part was small.

Mal I like the tips of the feathers to be up when I'm writing, just as a quill would have been. It is aways personal preference though.

The scratches are inside the brass tube and yes most people will have marks inside when they are done. Selling however you need to present as perfect a blank as you can. Scratches, bits of paint or resin inside just give reason for some to complain. Same kind of person that fusses over their new 4x4's paint they are picking it up at the dealer and then promptly head out for a day of bush bashing and splashing through mud holes. :wink:

Ha Ha yup love it. Thanks.

Lin.

magpens

Pete,

My remarks about posting a photograph showing the scratches, and the direction of the nib were both tongue-in-cheek ... I am pretty sure you know that !!!! :biggrin:

BeeAMaker

Why would scratches on the inside of a pen tube bother anyone? or am I missing something?

Anyways, before casting I use a Q-tip with either mold release or thin layer of Vaseline on it, then slide the Q-tip all around inside the tube. That way any casting that does gets in, slides right out when hard.

EDIT
n/m, saw your post explaining and I understand - unfortunately lol,

Last edited:
Top Bottom