I was Dying to play with fire again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

As sick of CA as I am I just had to try out the flame finish again. Tweaked my method a bit and this go around I'm really happy! On top of the flame finish I also used some wood that I color stabilized myself with Cactus Juice.

First up is a piece of Spalted Pecan that I dyed red and put on an Artist Sketch Pencil.

DSC03089 (586x700).jpg DSC03092 (606x700).jpg DSC03093 (529x700).jpg

Second is a piece of Spalted Norfolk Pine that I dyed Blue. I put it on an Atrax RB.

DSC03095 (525x700).jpg DSC03098 (538x700).jpg DSC03100 (570x700).jpg DSC03101 (482x700).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Jonathon, what can we say that you haven't heard over and over. WOW.

That pecan artist pen is almost as good a looker as that Atrax. And that pecan is a rare item. I live in the pecan state and have a ton of it in my garage but not that purrty.

The both are superb.

Ray

Brooks803

Okay so revised question. Flame polishing wood?

Not the wood but CA that's coating the wood. I don't always like the high gloss look on my wooden pens so I'll do a flame finish to make it satin/matte. On these there's no reflection so you get to see all the beauty of the woodgrain and chatoyance.

For this one I used EEE paste on all my sandpaper grits: 400, 600, 800, and 1000. Then I take a butane torch and LIGHTLY run it over the blank while spinning on the lathe. It takes a certain touch to get it right or else you will blister the finish and have to start over. I got lucky and nailed these on the first try.

I'll show ya how I do it when you get to come by the house.

robutacion

Both are great pens Jonathon, I couldn't tell what the last one was but it looked familiar, I have sliced many NIP into slices to get the knots but and as you know the knot area is only about 1% of the tree log, (about 1" for every 10" of log) so I kept them a side for one day to do something with them, the dying seems to work well with the wood and the cross cut/grain helps the effect.

I see both blanks are cross cut, some wood become very fragile when cut in such way, they require some care when handled/worked with but the results are always top notch so, congrats...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom