I don't have the track record of some of you, but here goes...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rwyoung

rwyoung

I just started turning pens (or anything for that matter) about two weeks ago. Spent a lot of time browsing old posts here and decided to get some kits from Wood-n-Whimses. Glad I did. Picked out some gold and copper finish slimlines and comfort pens to learn with.

Decided tonight to try a comfort pen (first one) and I wanted to try the copper finish. The wood is Carribean Rosewood. Sanded to 600, burnished with its own shavings, cleaned with mineral spirts (good for finding sanding marks) and then 6 coats of BLO/CA (medium) and finally another burnish and a wax top coat. Polished up pretty well. Used WOY's BLO/CA method. (Side note on his method, I've been torture testing a walnut tube done this way by carrying it around in my pocket with my change. Been a week so far and it still looks good, only minimal scratches visible under about 30x magnification. 1/2 the tube is wrapped in several layers of blue tape so after another week I'll unwrap and can do a good side-by-side).

Made the "photograph" by laying the pen on my flatbed scanner. I don't have a good digital camera (I prefer film, 8x10 sheet film to be specific) but the scanner did a pretty good job except for the end of the nib was a bit too far from the glass to be in focus.

Good fun!

Attachments

• comfortpen001.jpg
    comfortpen001.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 399
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

It is good fun, and you made a very nice pen, too!

Keep having fun,
Dale

rwyoung

Very nice pen,fit and finish look great.Good job!!

Thanks all of you!

The finish, by the way is the William O. Young BLO/CA method with two small changes. I happened to have a bunch of 600 grit wet dry so I go a little finer than he expressed in his video. And second, I'm not using the blue shop towels. I'm using generics. But looking at the towels, the backside of them is less "fuzzy" so I'm making it a habbit to fold them so that I use the back side. But probably makes very little difference.

2rcbruce

Good job, welcome to the habit, I mean Hobby. I call it a hobby, my with calls pen making a habit, but she always has a nice pen.. haha

Top Bottom