I Do Turn Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I am rather lax about taking photographs of my pens. In fact, some accuse me of only coming to the forum to be a smarta....well you know:rolleyes:.

The first pen shown is a TG Churchill roller ball kit I got from Ernie at BeartoothWoods. The blank was a gift from Roy (Oklahoman) and is Texas Mountain Laurel. The finish is poly acrylic spray.

The second kit is also from BeartoothWoods. It is a nickel-plated 30-06 cartridge using The Flat Top kit with a Parker refill. I used Axis deer antler for the upper tube.

Comments of all flavors welcome.

Attachments

• Churchill Tx Mountain Laurel.jpg
    Churchill Tx Mountain Laurel.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 349
  • Antler Cartridge.jpg
    Antler Cartridge.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 323
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Wow, Ok well you had me fooled, I thouht you only offered polls to vote on. +1 on the SA but hey im not far behind.

OKLAHOMAN

And when you do you do a damn good job.....of being a smarta.......um pen maker
As some say NP'sGJ....

bitshird

Nice work William, I particularly like the Churchill, honestly I had forgotten that on occasion albeit a rare one!:wink: You do sometimes post things other than your NORMAL smarta comments.:tongue::biggrin: Those are some pretty pens!!!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Heck, you don't need to come here to be a SA, you can be a SA anywhere. But to show off pens................glad you did!! Very nice. I'm partial to the Churchill but they both look good.:good:

cnirenberg

Cav,
Those are some nice looking pens. Have you used the Poly Acrylic spray as a finish before? How well does it hold up to a daily use? I have been trying the wipe on poly as a finish, but its still not as nice looking as the standard CA.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
OK, you can hide behind the irritating leprechaun and all, but really..
what have you done with Cav? (whoever you are..)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Cav,
Those are some nice looking pens. Have you used the Poly Acrylic spray as a finish before? How well does it hold up to a daily use? I have been trying the wipe on poly as a finish, but its still not as nice looking as the standard CA.

Cris,

It has held up very well for me on other projects, but I have only limited experience with it on a pen. I used the Krylon clear gloss.

Another option is to use the dip method. I am working on a couple of pens that way, using the Spar Polyurthane. I figure as hard as it dries it should do well. (A tip of the leprechaun hat to alamocdc for that idea.) This might not work well on certain shades of wood that might be adversely effected by some ambering of the finish over time.

I agree with you that I don't care for the results I get with wipe on poly. I don't know if it is the weather or what, but I have had some cracks show up in my CA finishes after a few days. Not in the wood, just in the CA. :confused:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yeah, yeah yeah.....you can't fool ALL of us.....but you can't make cool pens without practice.....

.....so who did you get to make them, huh???:confused::biggrin:

NP'sGJ's!!! :biggrin:

Both really are damned nice but the Churchill is pretty special!!:wink::biggrin:

Top Bottom