I din't know what this material is, but I LIKE it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

320178_228703973856342_100001502242963_617544_698779267_n.jpg

301443_228704007189672_100001502242963_617545_46559114_n.jpg

I don't know what this material is. It was like an acrylic, but smelled strongly of acetone. The depth in the color and shine is mind-blowing. I wanted to delete the centerband, but the top suffered some major fractures by the clip and I had to re-mill, re-shape and re-polish it, and took so much tube off that it had to be lengthened back out with a centerband. Luckily I had just enough of the blank left to work it. I think I got the blank from either Bobalu or Reddwil at the IAP meeting, so maybe one of them can shed some light on what I just turned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW~!!!!!!
Excellent work! Now that, I love!! This has been great watching your skills progress little by little with each pen, great job!!!

Drstrangefart

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW~!!!!!!
Excellent work! Now that, I love!! This has been great watching your skills progress little by little with each pen, great job!!!

I'm finally good and happy with my finish. It's gonna HURT when I get back into the wood finishes. But, a PITH is a PITH.

Bobalu

Allen, I think you have just created your best pen ever. I like everything about that pen....the shine...the color...its smooth contours. You have a hit there.

There is a chance I may have cast that blank, but the smell of acetone thing has me puzzled. I had a batch of red, white, and blue blanks that went south when the white set up too fast. I recall pouring the red and blue together, until I ran out of blue and the last cavity was mostly red. Could be that one, but it really doesn't matter. You were the one that brought it to life and made it special.

Drstrangefart

Allen, I think you have just created your best pen ever. I like everything about that pen....the shine...the color...its smooth contours. You have a hit there.

There is a chance I may have cast that blank, but the smell of acetone thing has me puzzled. I had a batch of red, white, and blue blanks that went south when the white set up too fast. I recall pouring the red and blue together, until I ran out of blue and the last cavity was mostly red. Could be that one, but it really doesn't matter. You were the one that brought it to life and made it special.

Thanks! It was great turn, and a good chance to try some new things with the repairs I had to make. I loved how it turned out and I wish I had a few more.

76winger

AWESOME!

It looks similar to a red metallic one I got from Exotics earlier this year, only maybe a little more metallic to this one.

Drstrangefart

I added a black centerband from another pen I had on hand. It just did not work. The red one was definitely the right call.

No picture?

Nah. Didn't have the time needed for a pic, and also didn't have the right fit on the CB. It just didn't look right with the black in it. If I had a black chrome kit on the pen, it would have been unbelievable.

Gary Beasley

Attachments

• mods.jpg
    mods.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 105

Drstrangefart

I added a black centerband from another pen I had on hand. It just did not work. The red one was definitely the right call.

No picture?

Nah. Didn't have the time needed for a pic, and also didn't have the right fit on the CB. It just didn't look right with the black in it. If I had a black chrome kit on the pen, it would have been unbelievable.

How 'bout this.

Not quite the effect I can generate. All of my black material os regular black with littlt to mo metal flake. The lack of metallic effect just looks wrong without a color-matcued kit to tie it together.

Drstrangefart

WOW. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This is why everything I do gets posted. LAST thing I was thinking was that this one was any better than any of my other recent ones. I'm glad it's getting noticed, next up is trying to sell it.

reddwil

Allan was the blank smooth round. If so its possible it was a freebee i got from either exotics or Ernie. I was curious how it would turn out, LOOKS AMAZING great Job

Drstrangefart

Allan was the blank smooth round. If so its possible it was a freebee i got from either exotics or Ernie. I was curious how it would turn out, LOOKS AMAZING great Job

Yeah. It was a smooth round one. Had a bit of green tape permanently adhered to the outside. I looked at the outside and threw it on the lathe thinking there was NO WAY it was gonna look like that on the inside.

Top Bottom