I didn't have fun making this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woody350ep

woody350ep

Alright, it's not so much the finished product as much as making it. It is reclaimed purple pipe from Cigarman. I am not sure what the purple pipe is used for, but I hope it is for clean water lol. Anyhow, this stuff doesn't chip off like wood. Instead, it stays in strands that are several feet long, no kidding. I don't know if acrylics are like this also, but if they are, I will most definitely never do one. I had to stop the damn lathe every few seconds to get rid of the buildup so I could see what I was doing, which was VERY annoying. On top of that, the stuff seems to want to "stick" to everything. Does anyone know if acrylics/resins are this much of a pain?

I cut my new MM today, so now I have 2 sets of 2"x3" cushioned and one set of strips non-cushioned. I wanted to dedicate a set to wet sanding my CA when I applied it, and I am not sure what I am going to do with the other cushioned set. I think I might just hold on to it in storage in case I need to replace a pad, or maybe I'll come up with something else. Any suggestions?

So, here it is. Chrome Slimline with purple drain pipe MM'd wet to 12k. I really like the look of these kits with the ball clip and accented center band. I think they look better than the standard ones that fit like crap on the CB.

100_1878800x600.jpg

100_1879800x600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Instead, it stays in strands that are several feet long, no kidding. I don't know if acrylics are like this also, but if they are, I will most definitely never do one. I had to stop the damn lathe every few seconds to get rid of the buildup so I could see what I was doing, which was VERY annoying. On top of that, the stuff seems to want to "stick" to everything. Does anyone know if acrylics/resins are this much of a pain?

That's pretty much par for the course for acrylics. Welcome to the world of plastic :biggrin:

akbar24601

Yup, that's about it. Ed4copies posted a vid on here not too long ago that you should look for. You can see the build up that he is dealing with in there. Plastics certainly are a different animal. Price to pay for everything, right.

I don't know about up there, but, down here we have that pipe and one in turquoise. You should see if you can get your hands on some of that as well. they would ake a nice set. Perhaps pen/pencil set for the ladies???

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
On top of that, the stuff seems to want to "stick" to everything. Does anyone know if acrylics/resins are this much of a pain?

Yep. Static will make the ribbons follow you around the shop. Keeping the
blanks clear is a pain, as you found out. They wrap around as you're
turning and you have to stop and make some space.

If you're taking very light cuts, then the ribbons will be very thin, so you
can wipe them away with a paintbrush without shutting off the lathe.
Saves time. But heavy ribbons won't clear like that.

So .. pink pen, huh? :biggrin:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Yep.. Thats acrylic for you... The good news is you're having the RIGHT result, not chipping that alot of first timers get.

My dust collection system helps keep the strands off the blank.

woody350ep

Well, looks like you've seen the last of my plastics then, unless it is one of those sweet worthless wood blanks from Curtis. I keep eyeballin' em. Charlie, I noticed as I made really light cuts that it was like you said, but that was taking too long for this impatient one lol. And alphageek, it looks like I won't get to experience the chipping out either. I didn't enjoy this at all actually.

Now I just have to find that video.......

MikeMcM1956

If you have a dust hood on your lathe it helps a lot. My hood is connected to a large 3HP dust collector, so a lot of the plastic chips and strands get sucked off right away. The ones that do curl around end up on the bushings, I use two bushings at each end to give them a place to collect. Every so often I just flick them with my finger while the lathe is spinning and they fly off into the eagerly awaiting 'big suck' :eek:. Kinda fun actually, but to each their own :biggrin:....

Mike

CaptG

Nice pen, don't give up so easy. There are some fantastic acrylic pens to be made. Check out some of the Amber Ripple stuff. Sweeet.

woody350ep

Dust Hood? 3HP dust collector????? lol. I don't currently have any dust collection. I turn in a Michigan-style basement with a dirt floor and half-height brick walls that are 100 years old. It is about 12'x14' and shares space with ductwork, furnace, water heater and storage. I wouldn't say I am in a good position for much of that right now. I have a garage in the works for the springtime, of which part will become workshop, so maybe I will try another one down the road when I have the DC that you guys stated and see how that works out.

Skye

I'm in the same DC boat as you. I recently bought a double canister respirator, so that's a start.

That kit is referred to as a 'fancy' kit at woodturningz. I like the look of them too. The flat clips look pretty lame to me.

The pipe looks darn good. I've got some of it myself. I wouldn't call the water that runs through it clean.....

MikeInMo

I'm in the same DC boat as you. I recently bought a double canister respirator, so that's a start.

That kit is referred to as a 'fancy' kit at woodturningz. I like the look of them too. The flat clips look pretty lame to me.

The pipe looks darn good. I've got some of it myself. I wouldn't call the water that runs through it clean.....

Purple pipe is for reclaimed (treated) wastewater. It is not considered potable because it hasn't been treated to drinking water standards, but it is not raw sewage (green pipe).

jedgerton

Jason,

Give a real acrylic blank a try. For store bought varieties, I like the Acrylester ones from Woodturningz. If you try one of Curtis's blanks though you won't be happy with store bought again!

John

woody350ep

Skye - I got it from woodpenpro and he called it Premium Slimline or something. But yeah, basically not a plain jane one.

John - I have decided that I will try another in the future, but not until the DC

thewishman

I think Ed uses a wire brush to get rid of the streamers. He's really hard-core.

I turn in a Michigan-style basement

Does that mean there are wolverines in the corners? If that is the case, just wear cardinal and white, that should scare them off.:biggrin: If you need something stronger, I can send you some scarlet and gray...:biggrin:

woody350ep

Cav, poke, poke, jab, jab, when should I expect the shank in my back? lol. Thanks

Chris - no wolverines in this house lol. And there will certainly be no scarlet and gray either. Unfortunately for me, it is a combination of the navy/gold/green/white that ND has adopted as their colors on any given week lol.

But seriously, are you guys aware of what a michigan basement means? It is not really a friendly work environment.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
It may be "cozy" Jason. But its a bit better than my "California basement." Everything is set up on my covered patio - no walls but nice breeze. Takes care of those long strings of acrylic pretty good.

PaulDoug

That stuff is a mess to turn. DC helps, I have the cheap HF one, but it definitely helps gather up the stringy stuff. Nice pen, mess or not.

Top Bottom