I did it TWICE!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is some awesome sappy cocobolo burl, two gorgeous pieces of wood! The heartwood really makes the finish look like glass! :)

Clicky the thumbnails and thanks for looking,

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Very good, Charles. The fit and especially the finish is outstanding. Keep up the good work.
The other Charles.

CharlesH

Hey Gregory,

I'll try to make it short, so concerning the finish...

Basically here is my procedure, when I am done turning, at least when I think I am done, I use a spare pair of new bushings to check the size, the one on the lathe are always a bit worn up. Before finishing I usually go from 240, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 dry sanding at 4000 RPM on johnnycnc's delrin bushings. I highly suggest that you guys get www.exoticblanks.com sand paper and you cut it in strips. I usually use a 5 inches strip of each grit for a single barrel pen.

When blank is properly sanded, I clean the sanding dust excess by rubbing a shop towel on the blank. I set my lathe to something around 500 RPM, first two coats on rosewoods is thin. I use strips of shop towels as applicator, for the next coats I use medium CA.

I apply my coats of medium CA by rubbing for long enough so the glue is starting to cure like 10-15 secs then I let it turn for 40-50 secs and from 12-15" I spray 2 push of accelerator and I blow at my blank with my other hand behind the hand spinning. Dark woods get cloudy really easily with accelerator (for me) so the less you use the better.

After each coat of CA glue I usually sand with wet sand with black MM of 3000. Make sure you don't have any white fine use in the wood grain or you will be ****ed at the end noticing them, I am a picky bastard. ;)

So I apply usually 10 to 20 coats by sanding in between each coat and at some point you have a nice finish build up. I have good lighting in my shop, when I see no scratches and the ends of my blanks are well coated I proceed to go with the next MM's and I finish with plastic polish. I apply the plastic polish with shop towels and I buff the plastic polish with paper towel.

So that is my not so short answer of how many coats. Oh and thanks for letting me buy those cocobolo blanks from you, I look at the pens I made with them and they make me smile. :)

Charles

Flawless finish as always Charles.

How many coats of CA do you apply?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The heartwood really makes the finish look like glass! :)

No......actually it's your skill and attention to detail that makes the finish look like glass. :wink: Superb!!!

I rarely bother trying to view remotely hosted pics as they take forever to load, but these were well worth the wait. I still can't understand why folks do it though:confused:

Ironwood

Two very nice pens, thats beutiful wood.

Thanks for your finishing proceedure.
When you say you wet sand between coats, are you useing water ?
If so, do you dry the blank before the next coat ?

CharlesH

skiprat said:
No......actually it's your skill and attention to detail that makes the finish look like glass. :wink: Superb!!!

I rarely bother trying to view remotely hosted pics as they take forever to load, but these were well worth the wait. I still can't understand why folks do it though:confused:

Thanks for the kind words. I use a 24" lcd, to me this size of picture is just great but they are surely longer to load! As for remotely hosting the pictures, I mainly do it to analyse the traffic of my website, in other words, Web analytics. ;)

Charles

greggas

20 coats...wow. Do you find the need to take the blanks below the depth of the bushings to accommodate for a thickness build-up of the CA?

As Always I really enjoy looking at your work...you have a great eye for selecting a piece of wood that really makes for a nice pen.

CharlesH

greggas said:
20 coats...wow. Do you find the need to take the blanks below the depth of the bushings to accommodate for a thickness build-up of the CA?

As Always I really enjoy looking at your work...you have a great eye for selecting a piece of wood that really makes for a nice pen.

I do flush to the bushings or a little less like 1/128 or something. I do a lot of sanding. It is really important to have MM pads in perfect condition. I find after a while, even if they are clean they loose their properties. I change mine at every 30-40 ish pens made or when I feel the need. :)

I had the blanks turned round, those two pen took me 2h to be made and assembled.

Hope this help!

Charles

wizard

Charles, WOWWW!! I can't believe I initially missed this post. The pens are beautiful. Even though the wood is gorgeous...your attention to detail and artistry is outstanding. Your pictures are so nice with the close ups... to be able to see not only the beauty of the wood but the flawless nature of your work! Thank you for sharing your technique...and most of all thanks for showing. Regards, Doc

seamus7227

Un****ingbelievable!!!! Charles, I am always so intrigued by your finish!! Your photography is always interesting as well! Very nice work and thanks for sharing

Top Bottom