I am still around and oak never looked that good!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Oak is often overlooked for those with 'fancier' names, but those that pass on 'em leave the great pieces behind. Good for you on spotting a great piece of timber!!

40mins:eek:....That finish would take me 40days!!!

Scott (riding a bike) B

plantman

:eek::eek: Charles; Are these some blanks you bought from Steve? I had him send me a box of blanks and could not believe the color and grain patterns in good old common oak, and it's not even a burl !! As you have shown, they make amazing pens. Keep up the fantastic work. Excellent photos!!. Jim S

Last edited:

CharlesH

:eek::eek: Charles; Are these some blanks you bought from Steve? I had him send me a box of blanks and could not believe the color and grain patterns in good old common oak, and it's not even a burl !! As you have shown, they make amazing pens. Keep up the fantastic work. Excellent photos!!. Jim S

Yes they are. It is not easy wood to work with, really punky but rewarding when you succeed on turning them.

C

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.

CharlesH

And right about the time I get to feeling all special about what I'm doing. Yeesh. The nerve of some people......

You are way ahead of me with all the casting you do. I also noticed you mostly make cigar pens nowadays, no more slimlines. Your progressing, on my side I am still doing the same thing. I should get into casting and kit less pens but I'm far too lazy. ;-)

C

Drstrangefart

And right about the time I get to feeling all special about what I'm doing. Yeesh. The nerve of some people......

You are way ahead of me with all the casting you do. I also noticed you mostly make cigar pens nowadays, no more slimlines. Your progressing, on my side I am still doing the same thing. I should get into casting and kit less pens but I'm far too lazy. ;-)

C

That is mostly because I used up all of my Slims and we have a small hoard of Cigars. I have to pay Dad back for the kits whenever I sell one. And I'm also generating demonstrations of what the casts look like so they're easier to sell when the next IAP meeting comes up. I very much appreciate the compliment, and at some point I plan on investing some serious time with the high end timber and see if I can't come close to the work you're doing.

CharlesH

That is mostly because I used up all of my Slims and we have a small hoard of Cigars. I have to pay Dad back for the kits whenever I sell one. And I'm also generating demonstrations of what the casts look like so they're easier to sell when the next IAP meeting comes up. I very much appreciate the compliment, and at some point I plan on investing some serious time with the high end timber and see if I can't come close to the work you're doing.

In my experience I would say that burls can be discouraging, especially the type that is soft and voidy (read afzelia and buckeye for example) I would advice that you go with a single tubed pen kit if you decide to go on with more expensive blanks. Going single tubed let you concentrate on the turning and finishing. Making the pen is less tiring and probably will lead to better results.

Talking about more expensive blanks... I really enjoy rosewoods, burl or not, they are fun and easier to turn, they are really dense, oily and generally stable. You could also go without a finish and just buff the hell out of them and achieve something closer to the wood.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Charles

Top Bottom