I almost didn't want to turn it...almost!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Sometimes things just click and a blank pops out of the mold looking so sweet that I'm almost afraid to turn it thinking I'll turn off all the good parts. Well that happened today, luckily I made more than 1 blank so I said the heck with it and got to making shavings! I put it on a Black Ti Stretch RB. I reverse painted it black and that really make the colors pop! Finish is MM to 12000 and polished with PlastX. Thanks for looking!

100_4438663x700.jpg
100_4442607x700.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

I'm glad you made the right decision and turned that beautiful blank into an even more wonderful pen. Thanks for sharing.
Charles

IPD_Mrs

Jonathan, I know what you mean - but in your case I think it is needless worry!!! I think this one turned out great (as they all do) but I especially like the color combination and the appearance of a galaxy on fire in it. (VERY COOL!)

Hope this is a sign that we will be seeing more of your specialties for the New Year.

Linda

PenPal

Jonathon,

Two strong feelings satisfy just how I was made one the Magma found in Volcanos and Geometric shapes.

The predominant impact of orange flaring around a field of black satisfied the excitement of flowing mixing colours.

The simple top flats engage the senses holding the pen in place to compensate for the elongated pen length that allows the continuity of the original pour to exist as it does completely. Strength follows the top down there it stops and binds the whole.

I lost perspective with the side by side pictures then made the concious decision to only look at them one at a time, methinks I can do without the threaded bottom since posted the length worries me as a user of pens.

Unusual clip is special. All in all delightful no I can not see comparisons with a another blank not seen but often loose a blank by diminishing interest as the swirl dissapears or the burl breaks through to a bark inclusion but so many times a relatively plain blank comes to life with unforseen splendour.

Having had the rare privilige of 59 yrs friendship of my lovely wife every day another facet of her charm captivates and wonderful memories flow.

As you make pens I feel the excitement as you pour and process then turn and finish to present your better pens. Thankyou.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2012,

Peter.

SDB777

Don't most PR blanks look better after they are turned:confused:
(I was told this, and only have just a few different ones laying around...but the after-turned look a LOT better-shiny and new)
Either way....

I really like this blank Mr. Brooks, and I think it's because of the longer section on the kit(it really let's those colors show themshelves off)!!

Scott (thumbs up for a great turning) B

Robert111

Of course the blank is sensational, but I really appreciate seeing the effect of black reverse painting and your decision to put it on a black ti kit. This will be something I'm going to try in the near future with some black ti kits that have been hanging around in my shop for a while.

MarkD

Sweet blank Johnathon! The blank looks especially nice on that kit.
Great Job.
I think I have one of those blanks that I need to try...real soon!

Brooks803

Thanks everyone! Peter, your kind words are always heartfelt and inspiring. Thank you so very much :biggrin:

That is a really special blank!! Is ALL the black in it from painting?

Thanks Skippy! Not on this one. I mixed some black in the blank. I've done 1 with clear instead of black and it looked amazing, but it was a pain to get the inside prepped so it didn't show drilling marks. I think I have a pic somwhere....Ah, here it is:

(I was told this, and only have just a few different ones laying around...but the after-turned look a LOT better-shiny and new)
Either way....

I really like this blank Mr. Brooks, and I think it's because of the longer section on the kit(it really let's those colors show themshelves off)!!

Thanks Scott, yeah most are better after being turned. But sometimes you turn away all the best parts depending on the kit. If I had made this one into a designer or something less than 10mm I would have turned off most of that color explosion. I wish I had taken a pic of the raw blank. It looked all black with that ball of fire stuck in the middle. I almost just turned it smooth and polished it.

Drstrangefart

Thanks everyone! Peter, your kind words are always heartfelt and inspiring. Thank you so very much :biggrin:

That is a really special blank!! Is ALL the black in it from painting?

Thanks Skippy! Not on this one. I mixed some black in the blank. I've done 1 with clear instead of black and it looked amazing, but it was a pain to get the inside prepped so it didn't show drilling marks. I think I have a pic somwhere....Ah, here it is:

Either way....

Thanks Scott, yeah most are better after being turned. But sometimes you turn away all the best parts depending on the kit. If I had made this one into a designer or something less than 10mm I would have turned off most of that color explosion. I wish I had taken a pic of the raw blank. It looked all black with that ball of fire stuck in the middle. I almost just turned it smooth and polished it.

Remember the gun cleaning brush next time you want to remove drill marks. Leaves the inside more of a satin finish, but it should take paint well.

wiset1

Almost will get you in trouble Jonathon! Just jump in head first and throw caution to the wind. Come on...your success rate on these blanks are like a million % :biggrin: You've got to turn EVERY SINGLE ONE :biggrin::biggrin:. Still blown away by the gift you made for your mother!!!

broitblat

Jonathon,

I could almost get jaded from all the consistently beautiful pens and blanks you turn out, but you just keep topping yourself! I mean... Wow!

-Barry

Top Bottom