Hybrid from Demo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from flyitfast

flyitfast

The demo last night at the Alamo Penturners was presented by El Mostro. Eugene did a casting demo using Alumilite. One blank was done under pressure and the other table top cured. Generated a lot of interest in casting. Top was blue and yellow under pressure and bottom is red and yellow without pressure. Both turned great.
The Toolbox Pencil below was made from a portion of each of the blanks.
Fun kit and the bright colors should keep it from getting lost in the sawdust!! :biggrin:

522016_4153745854874_1419413719_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Eugene (El Mostro) works wonders with colors and patterns. I was glad to get these blanks in the club raffle, especially after he cast them in the meeting.
Thanks for the comments.
gordon

Haynie

we got da funk
here come da funk

I like it. Is the tool box pencil thinner than the sketch pencil? I think the sketch pencils are just too darn fat.

flyitfast

There are two Toolbox pencils (PSI & CSUSA) and they have different center bands. I like the CS version better since the CB is hex shaped and won't roll on/off the workbench.
The Toolbox pencils are two part versus the Sketch pencil that is one part. The bushings are smaller for the Toolbox than the Sketch making it smaller if the blank is turned flat. Many people make the Sketch pencil with curves which makes it even more bulkier.
Hope that helps.
gordon

Last edited:

reiddog1

Me too. The only thing stopping me from trying Alumilite is a pressure pot. Would love to try it without, but most folks say it's not worth it without the pressure. Hmmmmmmm!!!

Dave

flyitfast

I know there are many on this forum that understand this far beyond my recent education, but....
As I understand it (I just learned from the Demo) pressure is needed to remove as many of the possible bubbles in the casting. I think it also helps to cure faster. There may be other reasons when using Aluminite, but I don't know.
By non-pressure, I just meant that the two parts, with color, were mixed in a mold and left to set on the workbench. After 5-10 minutes the mixing of colors showed up and it was left to cure on the bench. There were a few bubbles that rose to the top, and possibly there were some hidden in the block. When the temperature started coming down it was unmolded and after 45 mins or so it was cut into blanks. I didn't turn them until the next day and didn't find any bubbles.
Hope I haven't confused or misstated anything.:confused: If anyone else has anything to add, I want to learn more.
gordon

Top Bottom