Hybrid blank aluminum mesh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rachgard

Rachgard

So I tried to make some hybrid alumilite and aluminum honeycomb blanks because I see them every day on Instagram. After I made the blanks, I turned them on the jr gentlemen kit. I think it ended up great! Facetune_05-03-2018-17-56-18.jpgFacetune_06-03-2018-07-53-53.jpgFacetune_05-03-2018-19-35-40.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rachgard

Great job! Any special tips for turning or finishing?

This turned pretty much like a normal acrylic blank, only I had to be careful at the ends as they had a tendency to crumble. Honestly, that's why it has red heart on two of the ends. My tool caught and gouged the end and some of the aluminum flaked away. It was surprisingly very easy to use a parting tool and separate it without damaging anything else. For polishing, 80 grit to shape then through to 200 with normal sandpaper dry then I used wet micro mesh all the way to 12000, and then I used car polishing compounds meant for top coat polishing on show cars. I had tried it on another acrylic pen and it works really well. My husband has a lot in this the garage for his car stuff. If you guys want to know the exact stuff I used, I can take pics. Then I sealed the wood separately so that it will have that rich depth next to the acrylic portion. The barrel is very smooth and you can't tell that it's a hybrid by feel alone.

Dieseldoc

Great job! Any special tips for turning or finishing?

This turned pretty much like a normal acrylic blank, only I had to be careful at the ends as they had a tendency to crumble. Honestly, that's why it has red heart on two of the ends. My tool caught and gouged the end and some of the aluminum flaked away. It was surprisingly very easy to use a parting tool and separate it without damaging anything else. For polishing, 80 grit to shape then through to 200 with normal sandpaper dry then I used wet micro mesh all the way to 12000, and then I used car polishing compounds meant for top coat polishing on show cars. I had tried it on another acrylic pen and it works really well. My husband has a lot in this the garage for his car stuff. If you guys want to know the exact stuff I used, I can take pics. Then I sealed the wood separately so that it will have that rich depth next to the acrylic portion. The barrel is very smooth and you can't tell that it's a hybrid by feel alone.

Tip on controlling the tare out on the ends.
What I do is half way
Keep up the good work to final dimension , pull blank off and plug ends , put a layer of Ca glue on, Do the same thing just before getting it to size. Process works every time.

cheers

charlie

MRDucks2

Nice. Good golly Rachel, do you think you are moving along fast enough? Slow down a little... wait... left the Air Force and joined the Army so she could fly...never mind. Won't happen. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

OZturner

Magnificent Pen Rachel,
Glorious Aluminium Honey Comb Blank.
Love the Colours used, Spectacular.
Nicely Turned, and Excellent Recovery from the Catch, the Red Heart looks Brilliant.
Superb Finish,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom