Hybird Cigar in Alabaster and acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mickey

Mickey

This was my third attempt with the alabaster. The first two crumbled as I got down nearly to the bushings. This time I was more generous with the epoxy when I glued it up and I went much slower. The problem with alabaster is that it is inconsistent in hardness. At times it's like turning soft wood and then all of a sudden you hit small chunks of what appears to be quartz. Finishing is also more difficult. It is more like an open grain wood so there is a good bit of building up of the finish that is needed. I should also add that I am not pleased with the profile I put on the alabaster. I should have carried it out a little thicker up towards the top before dropping down to the finial. Still it was a great exercise and I have a couple of more alabaster blanks so I'll probably try again.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mickey

I pretty much did the same with them that I do with any blank. I drilled it on the lathe with a brad point bit and the blank mounted in a Beall collet. I did however leave the blank extra long in case the end blew out while drilling. That would enable me to just trim off the blown end. I did not use any water just went slowly. I also stopped turning well proud of the bushings and used 150 grit to take it on down to just before final size and finished off with finer grits. I cut the blank on my band saw and squared the ends with a disk sander.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As you probably know, alabaster cracks. But your approach allows more material. Hopefully, this will solve the cracking issue.

I would wait a couple weeks and see if this pen survives, before I made another. (Years ago, I would have made several and they all would have cracked).

I DO wish you LUCK!!!

Mickey

Thanks Ed. It's more of an experiment than anything. Once my last two blanks are gone that will probably be it for me and alabaster.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm NOT trying to talk you out of it. It's beautiful material.

Someday, someone will find a way to keep it from cracking. Lou has controlled snakewood--notable for cracking. Where there is enough experimentation, an answer (if one exists) will be found.

Keep trying, just note what works best.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
It is a lovely material. I made some cheese knives from it that came out beautiful - until I dropped them and they cracked. I think I have conquered many crack prone materials, but not this one.

Top Bottom