Huon Pine & Wenge my first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

I tried my first segmented pen! I am not sure if I did the right thing, but made a pen anyway, it could be markedly improved. The shape is not that great , but anyway learning as I go! Enjoyed doing it, and it was challenging. I understood that CA glue is not enough to stick the segments together. So ended up using 2 part epoxy. Will try more in the future. C &C welcome! Tips and tricks for segmentation welcome too. Also if someone could kindly point me in the right direction to learn the basics of segmentation that would be great.

The Huon Pine is a Tasmanian timber, smells great while turning, and very nice to work with. It was used in boat making, never rots even though its in water for over 1 100 years!

But now time for my holiday. Off to Israel and Turkey this week!

Cheers
Sean

Attachments

• Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball.jpg
    Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball1.jpg
    Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krudwig

it is a learning process and many of these pen turners have been at it years and are still learning new things. Your pen is great for your first segmented one I like the copper pieces you add its nice. Keep at it the learning may be the most fun!

fisher

For segmenting i use wood glue and a clamp .Work's real well.Just have to let it set over nite for a sure bond .

Sharp looking Pen .

Nice pen Sean, I use CA for gluing my segments together.. I have had trouble with both CA and Epoxy so I guess sometimes you just can't win. I have never tried wood glue but you can bet I will now.. Your pen came out really nice. Please post it in the no comments thread in segmenting...

PenPal

One of my daughters is married to a Turk from Istanbul she became fluent in the language in 2 yrs they lived there for many years now domiciled in the USA they still have their home on the Asian side of Istanbul. They are approaching retirement ages trying to decide where to settle then. I spent 7 weeks there a while back travelling around a lot incredible country.

Liked your pen it is clean cut beautifully made and finished. Enjoy your holiday.

Peter.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
That is a beautiful job of segmenting. I really like the brass inserts. Spot on fit and finish. Have a great holiday be safe.

OZturner

Great segmented Pen Sean,
Ideal choice of materials, Huon Pine, Wenge,and Copper.
Great colour contrasts.
Using the Zen is always successful to display a Blank to the utmost.
Your Fit and Finish, is Superb.
Well done, and have a great Vacation.
Are you going to bring back some special Olive?
Regards,
Brian.

SDB777

About the only thin I would recommend is to use the same plating as the segments...chrome for chrome, copper for copper.

I do like the two timbers you used, they are evenly spaced....A+

Scott (keep them coming) B

tgsean

Scott I agree with you, I didn't event think of that before I saw the comments. Really appreciate that

Top Bottom