HUGE success and Dumb luck!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rsx1974

rsx1974

OK, here's how it went. I had planned out something that I thought was going to really challenge me. I am currently serving a year long tour in korea and was lucky to be able to take my Turncrafter Lathe and my small chop saw with me, having no other major tools I've been enjoying making simple pens. Well I got the urge to do more. I made a pen with scallops just the other day and it really sparked inspiration in me. I have only made 3 closed end pens and have never really Modified any kits before but I set my plan on a closed end Jr gent and wanted to turn my own end thingy. I wanted to push the scallops a little further. So that might explain the Jr. Gent what about the Ciar you see.

I had a friend who has been watching me turn pens for the last couple weeks and while I was cutting and gluing up my blank he was admiring all the crazy shaped pieces I was cutting off. Well he started fitting them together like some crazy puzzle and said to me "dude I think I could glue these together." I thought he was just going to waste a bunch of glue but who cares right?? He did it!! It took some work to hack it into the shape of a blank, but we did and it is unbelievable!!! You should see it in person.

Worst part is I'm pretty sure I would have thrown all those little pieces away!!

Well thanks for reading my story and I hope you like the pens.

Ohh, the Closed end is made from Ebony and Bloodwood with a white plastic garage sale sandwiched in there, and them we just added some scraps of Curly Maple to the cigar.

Attachments

• Closed end.jpg
    Closed end.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 715
  • 3 views cigar.jpg
    3 views cigar.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 694
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SamThePenMan

Wow amazing! :glasses-cool: The scallop on the cap must have taken some work. Amazing to see what the turncrafter can do. I'm actually working on a closed end kit less slimline right now on my turncrafter. Not easy to do closed end with out the closed end mandrel. Taking a break for lunch then I'll finish it up drill the nib end and hope the refill fits in with out binding too much!

Unrelated I see that your from Patrick AFB. I actually grew up and lived in Titusville up until about 2 years ago, now I'm in the Kissimmee area. I have a friend I went to high school with who is in Korea last I heard, with the Naval band I believe. Nice to know there are other people "from" Florida even if you're over seas at the moment, which by the way Thanks! :)

Jim15

Great pens, I have a whole basement full of tools and I havent made pens like that yet. Excellent work.:eek::eek: Also thank you for your service to our country.:)

Last edited:

rsx1974

Sam, Thanks for your kind words, I'm originally from Green Bay, WI. But I have been Acive Duty for 15 years now so I've moved around a bit. My family is at Patrick which is where I go after leaving here.

SRB, I'm at Suwon, north or Osan south of Seoul, as for things changing, well everything seams to do that, but this country has come a long way sinse the 70's. There is a "good" spread of seasons over here, thats for sure.

If I'm making pens I'm not drinking Soju (Devil Juice), so I guess thats a good thing.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Way to go little brother! That scalloped turned out great and the other one just means my bucket of scraps is going to get bigger now... I'm always amazed at some of the things that you do with scraps.

And as for the "garage sale sign"... Good idea, but are you sure that what the sign reads in Korean :)

rlofton

Super nice pens!!! You think if I sent a bunch of scraps over your friend would glue them up?

Keep up the good work. Thanks for your service!

Top Bottom