Huanghuali on Silver and Jade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

I was fortunate enough to receive a piece of Huanghuali during the bash. Thanks to the incredible generosity of two of our members, Roy (Oklahoman) and Mike (Mredburn) I was able to make this beautiful pen. I'm trying, and one day will succeed at taking a decent photo, but until the kid gets back from school, the attached will have to do.

Huanghuali on FP1000 Sterling Hardware with hand shaped (yes, really) Jade clip and finial. The hardware is first rate and a pleasure to work with. The jade was a challenge as the hardware did not match up with any of the commercially available cabochons, bought slightly larger ones and used a diamond disk on my Dremel to fit to the finial cutouts. The clip is made from a slice of jade cut from a large pendant bead, again dremel cut, to fit the recess. Learned a lot making this pen and it will definitely be on my "top shelf".

Attachments

• hhl closed.jpg
    hhl closed.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 644
  • hhl open.jpg
    hhl open.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 425
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

That's a great pen. That jade really gives the pen a "long ago, oriental feel" in my opoinion. Really like that stand too.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You did great justice to the Huanghuali, The Jade ties in very well to the specialty of the wood. I am glad it has a good home.

OKLAHOMAN

Jon, I'm away at present and just go into my hotel room, dead tired from todays show was a good day but worn out checked in here and saw this, and to say you perked up my spirts is an understatement. So happy that after all that happen you have someting to be proud of and I'm proud to have had a little to do with it.

IPD_Mr

Jon,
I am glad that you mounted this on a special set of components. That is a heck of a pen and something to be proud of. Congrats.

76winger

Jon, that's a great looking pen :tongue: and gives me something to strive for.

I won one of Mike's Silver pens during the bash and still need just the right body to adorn it with. Don't know that I'll be cutting of filing any gems though, but... :rolleyes:

GoodTurns

I won one of Mike's Silver pens during the bash and still need just the right body to adorn it with. Don't know that I'll be cutting of filing any gems though, but... :rolleyes:

Easier than I thought it would be...jade is relatively soft and not as brittle as you would think. I think I will try opals next...similar properties, I believe.

I am already planning my next SilverPenParts pen....the parts are beautiful and an absolute pleasure to work with...I've been saving a nice piece of ivory for a while...hmmmm.....

firewhatfire

you are a rockstar. One of these days I wanna grow up and be able to say I turned some of the stuff you do. The pen is amazing and the story of geting it done is pretty good also(if I remember correctly)

Phil

magpens

Yes, really good to see this great pen "revived" for our enjoyment again ... a good candidate for a "Gallery of Excellence" !

Now, what does the acronymn NPGJ mean (see quote below or original above)?

That is a good-looking $1500+ pen! Very NPGJ.

Top Bottom