Huanghuali jr Emperor and a story (long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from altaciii

altaciii

A few of years ago, just after I started turning pens, I was surfing the net looking at all the possibilities in pen making. I went to many sites and saw quite a few very nice looking works of functional art. Most of the pens were the same with mostly the same woods and a few had little additions here and there by the turner to make the pen different in some way or another. For the most part all were made with the same kits available at that time. However, there was one pen I saw, on a site from a turner in Norway, that just put the final dot on my ambition to make beautiful pens. This pen was an emperor style large pen, that may have had some impact on my infatuation with the hobby but what caught my eye was the wood. This wood was a very rare wood from China and at the time was the finest pen I had seen to date. I told myself and my son in law, who happened to see the pen also, that one day I was going to create a pen of such beauty. I feel now that I have. This is a Jr. Emperor in 22k gold and rhodium that I have had stored for 8 months just waiting for the right wood to mate it with. Huanghuali, from Dave at Rarest woods. When these blanks came up I really had no choice but to purchase them. Others have said they were not worth the price, I, for one, disagree. Its sister was sold to a collector client of mine before it was turned and the final price was well worth me taking the financial risk. As was stated before, if you don't ask for it you won't get it. The pen comes with certification and pictures of the piece it was taken from. I can't say enough about the quality of the wood I got from Dave but these blanks certainly took me back to that pen. The pen was sanded to 12k mm then seven coats of ca/blo and then again to 12k mm. There is a lot of nice figure in the piece and a lot of chatoyance that cannot be seen by the cameras lens. Needless to say, my client was quite pleased. All comments, good and bad, are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• huanghuali .jpg
    huanghuali .jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 312
  • haunghuali2.jpg
    haunghuali2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 283
  • huanghauli3.jpg
    huanghauli3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

The pen looks nice.....it looks like the design in the finial is not quite lined up to match the direction of the clip....the one I made had the same problem! Are they all that way? If you look at the cap from the top, and set the clip at 12 o'clock, it's like the straight lines in the finial design are pointed towards closer to 1 o'clock....not a huge deal but it kinda bothers me. Just wondering if I got a bum kit or if they're all that way. Sorry, don't mean to jack the thread!:rolleyes:

chriselle

Now that is one beautiful "club":wink:there Alex. I'm feeling a little inadequate lately with Brian and now you making these big "booty" pens. Maybe I can compensate with some new tires and a lift kit for my Landcruiser in the meantime UNTIL I order a few of these big a$$ pen kits..:biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Alex, I totally agree, that's a pen that anybody would be proud to own. And yes "If you build it they will come."
So far I've been extreamly happy with Dave's wood .

TowMater

Beautiful pen, and with a client who most likely paid for your blank as well it was a very good investment I'm thinking. Now sell that one and get 4 more blanks, then sell those 4 and.....wait a minute, this is starting to sound like a pyramid scheme!!

marcruby

Huanghuali only looks like Cocobolo until you are holding finished pieces of both in your hands. They are actually very distinct in color and appearance. Huanghuali reminds me most of the figured Brazilian Rosewood that was used for premium guitar bodies. That grade of Rosewood is almost as difficult to get as huanghuali and nearly as expensive, now that I think of it.

Marc

very very nice pen - looks a lot like Cocobolo, eh? What's that prop you have your pen sitting on?

Andrew

Gagler

very, very nice. Now that you have reached your goal of creating something similar to the Norway pen, what is your next target?

altaciii

very, very nice. Now that you have reached your goal of creating something similar to the Norway pen, what is your next target?

Michael,
My next goal is to start creating some of the magnificent pens being put out by the pros, ie: skiprat, dcbluesman and many others. I know this is a long term goal, but one day..........

Top Bottom