HTMJ Chevrons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb757

mb757

This was my first attempt at an chevron like the ones that Mark James has posted here, turned out well. There's a little bit of a learning curve and some things I would do differently on the next one, but all in all turned out well. Mounted on a Cigar Pen Kit in black chrome, with maple, dyed black veneer and a little walnut.

Attachments

• DSCF0940.jpg
    DSCF0940.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCF0942.jpg
    DSCF0942.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCF0943.jpg
    DSCF0943.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sweet!

Excellent work Mark. I do love seeing others work through this skill set. After 3-4, the minor errors you are aware of will present solutions, and the overall process becomes simple (but time consuming).

I like the 2 blank composition; those little buggers are fiesty to get all aligned!

Thanks for sharing! :good:

Looks amazing. Is there information on the site on how to put the woods together to get the chevrons? I'd like to give this a try.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

It's a closely held secret... So everyone knows! : Top Secret Chevron Instructions

PM me with any questions. The first 2-3 are your learning curve, after that... Have FUN!

Mark, thanks I'll pm you if I have any questions.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Mark,
Excellent Segmented Chevron Blank,
though the Right Hand portion of the Chevron, in Photo 1, seems to miss the alignment by a Gnat's Whisker, but I am being very critical.
Superb Fit and Finish,
Great Craftsmanship,
I look forward to your Next one,
Brian.

Last edited:

mb757

Sweet!

Excellent work Mark. I do love seeing others work through this skill set. After 3-4, the minor errors you are aware of will present solutions, and the overall process becomes simple (but time consuming).

I like the 2 blank composition; those little buggers are fiesty to get all aligned!

Thanks for sharing! :good:

Thanks Mark, I found a couple of things doing this that I will have to adjust technique to correct. One was make sure that the pieces are exactly perpendicular to each other and thickness is critical. Two make them a little wider than needed because you may have to adjust the angle at glue up to align the chevrons, that's were I went off on the lower tube on photo 1. BTW the HTMJ in the title stands for Homage To Mark James, it would have been much easier if I would have looked in the library first, would have cut the learning curve lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom