How would you protect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Bad thing is, when you watermark the photo you somewhat destroy the image.

Someone with a hint of photoshop know-how can remove a watermark. They can also crop the watermark off.

If the watermark does not cover the pen itself (which would be ugly) then it'll be easy. The better way to do it may be to kill the right-click function. I don't know how people do it, but what happens is when you right click the image you get a popup saying the images aren't for download. Someone could do a screenshot and crop to get the image, but most people ripping off photos don't think of that.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Watermarks aren't perfect, but neither is disabling the right-click function. That is very easily circumvented. Using a watermark at least will slow someone down.
"If you don't want people to steal your stuff, don't put it on the internet."
Author Unknown

marcruby

I'd lay a business card under the pen if I was worried about it. It looks a bit nicer than a watermark to my mind. It can be cropped out, but that takes work, and most people who are stealing pen images aren't exactly into spending a lot of time.

Truth is I just assume that any picture I put on the internet is no longer mine.

Marc

chriselle

I agree with Marc. If I put a pic on the net then I just accept that it's public domain. That's not to say I won't hassle the guy who uses it without the common courtesy of getting permission.

DSallee

Another way to do it would be to put the image as background in a table cell (make the cell the same size as the image), then place a clear gif the same size in the cell over top the image (background) ... the pen will be seen by the viewers (which is actually the background of the cell) but when they right click and save all they get is a clear blank gif ... :biggrin:

It's not a definite stop but it sure does detour them, most will give up after getting the clear gif instead of the image.

toolcrazy

I've been involved in web design for a long time. And I can tell you, there is absolutely no way to prevent someone for stealing your photos. All the above suggestions will not work. There is always a way to get around it. The only way that I'm aware of to stop image theft is to create a flash movie for each image. Sure they can steal the presentation, but they still can't extract the images. And you can put your business name on the photo to prevent them from reusing the movie. Even that is not 100%.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I agree with Marc. If I put a pic on the net then I just accept that it's public domain.

But posting it in public doesn't make it public domain. For your image to
become part of the public domain, first you have to die and then they have
to wait another 70 years (or automatically after 120 years from creation) or you must specifically state that you willingly give the image to the public
domain.

You do not give up your rights to the photo simply because the public can
see it.

chriselle

But posting it in public doesn't make it public domain. For your image to
become part of the public domain, first you have to die and then they have
to wait another 70 years (or automatically after 120 years from creation) or you must specifically state that you willingly give the image to the public
domain.

You do not give up your rights to the photo simply because the public can
see it.

Haha...Well, yes in the strict sense of the definition of "public domain" then you are, of course, correct. My point eluded to the "throw your hands up in the air" type of futility in protecting those very rights with your property posted on the WWW.

marionquill

If your website has a copyright on it, if you find the offender, simply email them to remove the copyrighted material from their website--it's worked for me in the past but only where you find your images--how many unknown sites using them, well, you don't know what you don't know. So in the end, I have to take the mindset that if somebody stole my photo, then my photo kicked butt and I'm happy it is useful to somebody else and perhaps will help them sell a pen too. But then again, I don't make pens for a living, it's just a hobby business for me.

Jason

marcruby

You do not give up your rights to the photo simply because the public can see it.

Technically, you're right, but practically speaking, I have no intention of belaboring people that swipe my images. If I had enough money to support the fleet of lawyers I might need I'd thank the Lord and buy a new lathe with it.

Marc

Skye

Another way to do it would be to put the image as background in a table cell (make the cell the same size as the image), then place a clear gif the same size in the cell over top the image (background) ... the pen will be seen by the viewers (which is actually the background of the cell) but when they right click and save all they get is a clear blank gif ... :biggrin:

It's not a definite stop but it sure does detour them, most will give up after getting the clear gif instead of the image.

Now that's an interesting idea.

M

Mudder

Watermarks aren't perfect, but neither is disabling the right-click function. That is very easily circumvented. Using a watermark at least will slow someone down.
"If you don't want people to steal your stuff, don't put it on the internet."
Author Unknown

Probably will only slow them down for a second or two.

All they have to do is hit the print screen key on the keyboard and then paste the image to a screen shot Cut out the image and the right click disable feature has been rendered moot. For an amateur it's very difficult to protect your work. I think that there is a way to digitally watermark a photo but in the end, whatever you put in can be taken out.

DSallee

Now that's an interesting idea.

Well, it worked for the most part for our last site, My son and I had a storm chasing site with pics of storms, tornados and funnel clouds and such that my son and I chased and photographed ... that method was how we detoured people from "stealing" our images off our site and calling them theirs. They could still steal them if they knew what was going on and how to. It was a lot of trouble but in the end it worked for us.

As toolcrazy said, nothing is 100% steal poof on the web and if you don't want it stolen, then don't post it, simple as that...

Last edited:

btboone

Here's how I do the watermark. It does cover the product, so it's a hassle for others to Photoshop out, but I drop a logo at a 10% opacity right on the part. Not bulletproof, but goes a long way to protecting what's yours.

Attachments

• pathchroma.jpg
    pathchroma.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 104
Top Bottom