How NOT to turn your first closed end Baron....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveRoberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRoberts

Ok, what is the official record for number of time dropping the pin from the pin chuck into a waist deep pile of saw dust? Second question, what is the most time spent looking for it when dropped single drop and cumulative?

I get this lovely bit of kit from Fangar the other day, I know full well to avoid at all costs the wisdom and directions of those who have gone before me so I just plunge in, using my chuck for the second time ever and the first time in months I manage to grab the shank good so far.. then I notice my chuck has jaws that cause the pin to sit in too deep so I cut a tube to push the sizing bushing out past that chisel grabbing jaw and without much though drill and tube a somewhat longer blank *who me measure?*

I mount the blank and because I have not read the many accounts of how to do this and have turned many bottle stoppers with a screw chuck I don't bring up the tail stock and instead go to work. At this point dear reader it might be interesting to note that the mounted blank was of the most heavily stabilized BEB CSU has to offer, turns a little easier than cold rolled steel. Did I mention that the lathe is set to the usual 3900 rpm?

Touching it with the chisel I get nuck-nuck-chunk-whack-duck you stupid bugger sound and am very glad I am religeous with the wearing of my face shield. It doesn't come off but does go well out of anything resembling concentric. This process is repeated with two other blanks before I, like all frustrated craftsman, blame my tools and quit. Every time I pull a blank off I forget the pin is trying to flee for it's little pin life from this obvious mad man and it leaps heroic distances into the nearest silly-deep pile of lathe trimmings or atleast that is where I spend 45 minutes looking before finding it in the open about 3 feet away.

Today I read abit on the topic, brought up my tail stock and .... not perfect but it will do to scratch the itch, in all candor I prefer the cap post-abilty of the stock model but do like this look.

Steve

2006324234812_ceBaron%20002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />Ok, what is the official record for number of time dropping the pin from the pin chuck into a waist deep pile of saw dust? Second question, what is the most time spent looking for it when dropped single drop and cumulative?

I get this lovely bit of kit from Fangar the other day, I know full well to avoid at all costs the wisdom and directions of those who have gone before me so I just plunge in, using my chuck for the second time ever and the first time in months I manage to grab the shank good so far.. then I notice my chuck has jaws that cause the pin to sit in too deep so I cut a tube to push the sizing bushing out past that chisel grabbing jaw and without much though drill and tube a somewhat longer blank *who me measure?*

I mount the blank and because I have not read the many accounts of how to do this and have turned many bottle stoppers with a screw chuck I don't bring up the tail stock and instead go to work. At this point dear reader it might be interesting to note that the mounted blank was of the most heavily stabilized BEB CSU has to offer, turns a little easier than cold rolled steel. Did I mention that the lathe is set to the usual 3900 rpm?

Touching it with the chisel I get nuck-nuck-chunk-whack-duck you stupid bugger sound and am very glad I am religeous with the wearing of my face shield. It doesn't come off but does go well out of anything resembling concentric. This process is repeated with two other blanks before I, like all frustrated craftsman, blame my tools and quit. Every time I pull a blank off I forget the pin is trying to flee for it's little pin life from this obvious mad man and it leaps heroic distances into the nearest silly-deep pile of lathe trimmings or atleast that is where I spend 45 minutes looking before finding it in the open about 3 feet away.

Today I read abit on the topic, brought up my tail stock and .... not perfect but it will do to scratch the itch, in all candor I prefer the cap post-abilty of the stock model but do like this look.

Steve

2006324234812_ceBaron%20002.jpg
<br />

I just got my mandrell from Fangar last week. Reading your post reminds me of well ME.[:D][:D]
Hopefully with reading your post i might by some sort of comsic intervention will be able to not lose the pin.[:D]
But with my luck i will probably do the exact same stuff that you describe here.[B)]

mrcook4570

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />Ok, what is the official record for number of time dropping the pin from the pin chuck into a waist deep pile of saw dust? Second question, what is the most time spent looking for it when dropped single drop and cumulative?
<br />

One word of advice: magnet [:D]

Bocote? Looks good.

angboy

Isn't it called a pin chuck b/c after you let that pin go flying, you want to chuck the whole thing in the trash? No offense meant to Fangar, I have one of his also and am eager to try it out. But the other day I finally got around to putting some tubing on it just to see how it worked, and this same problem was the first thing I discovered, as I jerked the tubing off the chuck without even thinking. Luckily my shop had just been cleaned and vacuumed so it wasn't TOO hard to find the pin!

Daniel

Steve,
Nice to hear your not having a really bad day [:D]
Ever notice how the size of the pile of sawdust is inversely proportional to the size of the part you are trying to find in it. If it where not for lost pieces my shop would never get cleaned.

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />Steve,
Nice to hear your not having a really bad day [:D]
Ever notice how the size of the pile of sawdust is inversely proportional to the size of the part you are trying to find in it. If it where not for lost pieces my shop would never get cleaned.
That day my shop vac could have run on profanity. My shop can't get clean enough to find a pin that size, I think fangar should offer a pin chuck with extra pins option. Say a half dozen spares....[:p]

TomServo

Steve: you should be able to pick up some 3/64" piano wire or brass rod at a model shop, which should serve just as well as the drill rod one included... The piano wire is even hardened steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom