How to NOT impress a customer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

I had a fella give me a call and come by the house to buy a belt sander. While he was here he asked about my pens and such. So being the proud turner that I am, I whip out all my best stuff for him to look over. Never the less I learned my lesson about picking up and playing with pens with a customer. He asked about refills and I took one apart for him to see. Being who I am I dropped the cap and this is what happened in fromt of a customer. In the end he did buy a iPad Stylus so. Anyone got a Jr Gent 2 that they broke the bottom on?:bulgy-eyes::crying:
3b82159b.jpg

ebd57122.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Phil - Based on your photos I am not seeing good glue coverage. I think if you would have had a better glue joint between the tube and the blank, this may not have happened. Looks to be CA glue. If it is you should give epoxy a try. Hit your local hardware and find some two part 5 minute epoxy and give that a try. The other great thing about the epoxy is it's fail point is a higher temperature than CA and comes in handy when working with Tru-Stone and M3 blanks.

renowb

One thing I put on my care cards is: "Do Not Drop"! Of course S**T happens though.

Andrew_K99

From the picture you can see how the glue wasn't spread out well, the shinny surface was never bonded to the blank.

Give epoxy a go and you'll never want to use CA for this task again. I roll the tube in epoxy and put some in the hole before inserting the tube, twisting while pushing it in. I always look for a lot to push out the other end to know I've got good coverage. Too much in this case is a good thing IMO as epoxy is pretty cheap.

AK

jcm71

Also try using a small piece of craft foam to spread your glue on the tube before inserting it in the blank.

Jim Burr

Banned
Let the customer drop it...now they own it! All that aside...blank material is a big consideration. With some blanks that are more fragile...epoxy may be the best bet, more flexible. CA is a good, general adhesive/filler, but really does have its limitations.

Last edited:
As long as somebody else brought up epoxy, I need (want) to ask a Q: While I have used 5 min epoxy successfully many times, I have had disastrous results with the longer "working time" epoxy. I use Loctite and it promises the same results as the 5 min but in my experience, it never cures. Anybody else run into this?

renowb

I use the 30 min epoxy with excellent results. May be different materials bond at different times.

As long as somebody else brought up epoxy, I need (want) to ask a Q: While I have used 5 min epoxy successfully many times, I have had disastrous results with the longer "working time" epoxy. I use Loctite and it promises the same results as the 5 min but in my experience, it never cures. Anybody else run into this?

firewhatfire

Well it seems that even the hard headed can learn to do as they are told. I will be picking up some expoxy in a day or so. It was an a bit awkward but I will recover with a few post on here. Glad to have you folks to set this hard head straight.

Jjartwood

Nice pen, I'd inlace it and call it custom.Just break part of the bottom so the two parts match. Just Kidding !
My heart goes out to you ,I've done the same thing.
Ended up turning the material off the broken piece and placed in a complementing
"different material" in my case I used deer antler,Turned out quite well in fact.
But you've already done that and I'm sure the repair (whatever you chose) looks great

azamiryou

If your epoxy doesn't cure, it's almost certainly because your mix is off. The right proportions are important for proper curing. Follow the directions exactly.

SDB777

Your not the first to drop one, and that probably won't be the last one that gets dropped around ya either.

She sure was purty before the 'oops'

Scott (I did that once) B

Top Bottom