How Much do You Get for Your Slimlines?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I never got more than $15 or $20 for a slimline pen. Many people thought that was too much. Could not buy a Cross refill in my town, package of two special order from Staples or Office Mac ran about $7 with tax. Vendors sold them in packs of 5 for whole lot less. See can now buy better quality Cross style refills but doubt could sell a Slimline here for $85. Don't know anyone that would pay $6.00 + tax & shipping for one of those Mo-better refills.

So only make pens that take Parker style refills.

Last edited:

Sappheiros

It's all about marketing and branding. This fellow has certainly learned (or is attempting to learn how) to sell the emperor's pen (the fable, not the kit).

kentonjm

I guess it depends on how you sell them. For us these do look like OMG prices and certainly not anything close to what you could get at a craft fair.

However, there are multiple well established sales/marketing strategies. My day job of nearly 30 years now (which I am trying hard to escape from) is marketing/business strategy. Lanier's approach is perfectly valid and if you can build value (real or perceived) in the eye/mind of the buyer then they will pay. You or I may not pay $150+ for the latest pair of Nike's but there will be a line round the block of folks who will.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
From their ad copy: and the very popular Schmidt C600 Cross Style ink refill

I contacted Schmidt earlier this week, to see about purchasing Cross style refills, based on this statement and one on a UK pen site. Schmidt replied:
[FONT=&quot]We have stopped producing this refill about 10 years ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sorry for not being able to serve you.

Guess their refills are like fine wine--well aged!!
OR, more likely, they just were unclear on who makes them

FWIW!!
Ed

[/FONT]

jttheclockman

Do you see the name on the web site. When you all establish yourself as highend retailers then start putting the big $$$ on your pens. Until then $25 is your area. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

longbeard

From the looks of them, I'm going to stop trying to match the blank diameter to the components of the pen.
This is what we been doing wrong the whole time. Make the blank bigger than the components of the pen. Bigger blank, bigger money.

Harry

Last edited:

mecompco

This is why it really makes little sense (IMHO) to make Slims unless you're doing it just for fun. More than twice the work than a single barrel pen and sells for half the price. I still make a few (usually priced at $24.95), but always ask myself why.

Regards,
Michael

jcm71

This is why it really makes little sense (IMHO) to make Slims unless you're doing it just for fun. More than twice the work than a single barrel pen and sells for half the price. I still make a few (usually priced at $24.95), but always ask myself why.

Regards,
Michael

That's why I sell mine for $45. $50 if I make it with a burl. Try raising your prices. I think you'll see they sell.

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

That's why I sell mine for $45. $50 if I make it with a burl. Try raising your prices. I think you'll see they sell.

It's worth a shot. I thought I was doing well to get $24.95 on Etsy.

I'm really leaning towards making more fountain pens. Less work than a slim, and a $60+ profit is well within reason. But then, I do like to cover all the bases.

leehljp

Member Liaison
1. Location (and internet) has a lot to do with it. When I lived in Japan, even a "good" slimline could go easily for the equivalent of $100 +. In my "smallsville" USA home town, that same pen would not sell for more than $25.

2. The artistic creation has a lot to do with it too. In the OP the slimlines with designs were attractive. Attractiveness draws people in. The more drawn in, the more sales.

3. Quality. Its "good enough" will not bring great prices. Each and every pen should be made as though it was the only pen - for the slimline to break out of the bottom rung. I know some here make their living by sales numbers. If I were making or supplementing my income with pen sales, then sales numbers would be important. But since I am not, I treat each and every pen as though it were the only one I am making. "Good enough" and "Getting it out the door" cuts it on the lower end but not on the higher end. ON the higher end, it is about "IS it finished? What does the fit and finish look like under a 10X or 20X magnifier?"

4 Apples and Oranges. With number 3 above, there is the argumentative confusion between two different models, both distinct from each other. Slimlines are generally seen as the lower end and priced that way. Then there is the OP link that shows a slimline for nearly $200. The artistic value added with the matching segments top and bottom - push it into a different class of artistry.

Understanding the target audience AND creating/finishing the pen accordingly is more important than classifying a pen into one category.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm really leaning towards making more fountain pens. Less work than a slim, and a $60+ profit is well within reason. But then, I do like to cover all the bases.

Mike,
There is FAR more disposable income available to those who purchase fountain pens vs those who purchase ball points. :biggrin: Know your target audience.:wink:

efrulla

$25 - $30

If I have a piece of spalted wood that is only good for Slimlines I will ask $45 for that one. Does not happen that often.

I donated some to a Chinese style auction and they went for around $30 -$35 and that was the buyers setting the price.

mecompco

Mike,
There is FAR more disposable income available to those who purchase fountain pens vs those who purchase ball points. :biggrin: Know your target audience.:wink:

Point taken! :biggrin:

PenPal

Morning here Les enclosing a pic of the latest Slimline I made I tend to use a Streamline centre band.One of my favourite Brown Mallee Burl blanks.

I make a lot of Slims and yes they are a two piece pen and I do put my best effort into each and every one all the hype in the world about kit quality etc comparisons do not wash with me.

Most all of my pens are gifts.

The last biro refills I bought cost me 69 cents aussie dollars both for Parker and cross refills here where I live.

Incidentally I am still using refills thirty years old that work fine, I bought 150 of them extra at that time so long ago.

You and I have been friends for so long now great to say hi mate.

Peter

Attachments

• DSCF7693.JPG
    DSCF7693.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF7697.JPG
    DSCF7697.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF7697-001.JPG
    DSCF7697-001.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF7699.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF7702.JPG
    DSCF7702.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF7704.JPG
    DSCF7704.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

its_virgil

Notice the pictures that seem to show the pen barrels larger than the "nib". Yes, they appear to not match. Notice that is only with the chrome and not the pens with black metal. The background behind the pen is reflected onto the chrome which makes the "nib" appear smaller than it really is. The background color is reflected onto the edge of the nib. This anomaly happens to me all the time when taking pen pictures. It is worse when colored backgrounds are used. It happened to several pictures used in my book and was not caught during the editing and it appears I turned pens with barrels not matching the pen components. Really upset me. So, lets don't quick to judge the pen maker's skill from pictures. Pictures can be deceiving...both good and bad. Do a good turn daily!
Don

From the looks of them, I'm going to stop trying to match the blank diameter to the components of the pen.
This is what we been doing wrong the whole time. Make the blank bigger than the components of the pen. Bigger blank, bigger money.

Harry

Top Bottom