How long should it take? A segmented Designer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I realize there are a lot of variables, arthritis, sight, skill level etc. but it took me over an hour to turn this segment down to size! How long should it take on average to turn a segment like this down? Does anyone have any ideas or want to share your experience?? This is another segment of Walnut, Maple, Padauk + a little Aluminum on a Satin Designer...(no tenon)
If it had a tenon, it would probably have taken all night! lol

Attachments

• DSC01542.JPG
    DSC01542.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC01546.JPG
    DSC01546.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

That is a nice blank/pen. It's not so bad to take an hour to turn it down. You have that fear factor which keeps you from being as aggressive as you would otherwise be. I guess it really depends on how long it usually takes you to turn a similar pen with solid wood.

TonyL

Very, very nice. I have not progresses to segmenting yet, this is o/s! I love the designer kit. I have made a half-dozen and have another 3 or 4 kits left.

toddlajoie

I'm with Ed on this. I've had great pens come together in 20 minutes, and bad ones take several days. Materials can give you difficulty sometimes, slowing things down. Sometimes partway turning, I will decide I'm just not in the mood to sand or finish, or the turning isn't going well, so I walk away for a while and come back in a different state of mind. For me this is a Hobby and if I'm not enjoying the process (even the troubles that come up, I find that solving them is some of the greatest joy) then it's not going to do me any good to push through just to get something done.

The pen looks fantastic. I love the segmenting and pattern, so I would say it is time well spent.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
No set amount of time, unless you want to stop having fun sooner. Great looking pen, your segmentation look perfect. Spot on fitband finish. Cutting a tenon doesn't take much time.

Edward Cypher

That is awesome

Congrats and thanks for supporting special needs children. I've been in that situation before but the joy on her face was more than worth the loss of the profit on the pen.

Thanks for the comments & opinions! I attended my 1st show today! It was quite an experience....a productive one @ that! I was able to sell about 12 pens! My best sale was a pen I sold to a special needs child for $2 ( his spending money for the day):cowboy:

OZturner

Phillip, A Superb Segmented Designer.
Love your timber choices and sizing, also the fact that you used sized Aluminium that compensated for your saw Kerf, so you beautifully maintained your wooden segmenting lines. Bravo.
Your segmenting is Brilliant, as is your Fit and Finish.
To me it was worth every second you spent on it.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Observatnt & gracious!

Thank you for your comments & compliments! You are always gracious & encouraging with your observations of others work! You are obviously an experienced craftsman! Your encouragment motivates others to keep on turnin' !:cowboy:!

Phillip, A Superb Segmented Designer.
Love your timber choices and sizing, also the fact that you used sized Aluminium that compensated for your saw Kerf, so you beautifully maintained your wooden segmenting lines. Bravo.
Your segmenting is Brilliant, as is your Fit and Finish.
To me it was worth every second you spent on it.
Congratulations,
Brian.

BSea

That's a great looking pen. I know it would take me at least an hour to turn a pen like that. The aluminum can debond easily if it gets too hot. Although it might also have some holding power since it's at the opposite angle of the other pieces.

But having more than a few come apart, I've learned to go slow, and keep the CA handy. You did a good job.

Start @ 400

Scott: i typically start @ 400 grit, then 600 & maybe 800 before applying the CA. Then after about 8-10 coats of CA, I watersand from 400 up & then use the Plastic polish...

All I got is:

That pen is saweeeet!!!!

Scott (lots of sanding I'm guessing) B

rossvh

I realize there are a lot of variables, arthritis, sight, skill level etc. but it took me over an hour to turn this segment down to size! How long should it take on average to turn a segment like this down? Does anyone have any ideas or want to share your experience?? This is another segment of Walnut, Maple, Padauk + a little Aluminum on a Satin Designer...(no tenon)

I have done quite a few segmented pens and take my time as well. I'm not wanting to be aggressive since the segmenting takes a while and you want it right. An hour is not bad. Bottom line is - you turned a great looking pen and I'll bet your learned a lot as well. Both are priceless!!

BTW - I turn copper and aluminum segments like you did but haven't used the thickness you have on this pen. What is the size and where did you get it?

Ross:wink:

plano_harry

Phillip, that is a great looking pen. With aluminum, you can be too aggressive or it will heat and pop the joint, so that time may be reasonable. How long would it normally take you to turn a similar all wood pen?

Designer NT

The pen kit is a PSI product: A Satin Designer NT (no tenon)
The woods were just scraps that I cut up on the table saw & the aluminum is a piece of stock from HL that is thicker than roofing/valley "tin" or flashing. I have some copper the same thickness.....I will mic it & post thickness later tonight...:cowboy:

I have done quite a few segmented pens and take my time as well. I'm not wanting to be aggressive since the segmenting takes a while and you want it right. An hour is not bad. Bottom line is - you turned a great looking pen and I'll bet your learned a lot as well. Both are priceless!!

BTW - I turn copper and aluminum segments like you did but haven't used the thickness you have on this pen. What is the size and where did you get it?

Ross:wink:

Nice job Philip. It can take a bit longer to turn one but usually it doesn't take too much longer. The problem is it takes so long to make the blank and the pain of drilling is the hardest part in my opinion. By the time you get to the turning you really don't want anything to go wrong. I know I make sure my tools are hyper sharp when I turn one. This pen came out great.

Top Bottom