How do my photos look??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from susan41

Status
Not open for further replies.

susan41

Hey everyone!! Well I was given some advice to "venture out" into the other forums so here I am!!

I've been really trying to experiment with my picture taking, trying new props, and whatnot in order to get the best pictures that I possibly can.

Just wanted some feedback regarding this to see if my props really are compimentary as I see them or maybe they are too busy and distract from the pen that I am showing.

Any suggestions would be most helpful!!

Thanks!!

Susan

2008118154318_BERRY%20CREAM.jpg

2008118154338_BLUE%20CHEESE.jpg

200811815444_SW%20SPLIT%20IN%20SATIN%20GOLD.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Very nicely done on all pens and pics. I usually don't like busy backgrounds but that top pen would stand out against any background. Just a note though yellows and orange draw the eye. So if you want the pen to be the focal point of the picture don't use those colors in the back ground.

broitblat

In my personal opinion, the middle photo/prop is the most effective for showing the pen. I think the flower pot is too busy with color, etc. and distracts from the pen. Even the horse draws your eyes away from the pen in the foreground.

Just my personal opinion -- your mileage may vary.

Nice pens by the way!

-Barry

louisbry

First of all the pens look great. I am not a photographer, but from my perspective the first picture looks great but the eye is drawn to the prop and not the pen which is a defeat in purpose of the photo. In regards to the other two pictures I give a thumbs up as my eye is drawn to the pens while the props look very suitable.

jwoodwright

Beautiful Pens. Well made and great finish.
Contact DCBluesman and see if he has any Acyrilic supports available. (Just a little bent piece of Plexglass that allows the pen to dominate the photo)

PR_Princess

Susan,

Nice photos. However, I am confused. Did you mean to show off your pens or get photography advise? Did you know that there is a Pen Photography Forum?

Also I agree with John. You may want to contact DCBluesman for props or one of our other resident photography experts - like GerryR for advise. Both are well respected senior members of this forum. Are you familiar with them??

Ligget

Susan I think the middle picture is the clearest as your eye goes straight to the pen, I agree with the little acrylic stands, I got some in a group buy they are very cheap![:)]

Nice pens buy the way, are those the Slimlines that Ernie sells at Bear Tooth Woods?

edstreet

The reason the middle photo shows off the pen so well is the pen IS the focal point. In #1 the flowers are the focal point and in #3 it's the horse. When picking backdrops for objects you need to consider what part(s) of the focal object you want to make stand out.

Different patterns and color on the background will bring a different meaning to the pen, try a series of photo's with the same pen in the same location but with different backgrounds like white/black/blue/green and see the difference, MAJOR difference to.

Are you using left lighting only? It appears to be straight and not angled downwards.

Ed

susan41

<b></b>Wow....Im kind of disappointed in myself....because I had thought that I was making the right choices to compliment my pens. (However, as your self opinion is highly partial, it is always good to get the opinion of an outsider that can be critical and fair)!!

I really want my photos to POP!! I know that the pen really should be the focal point as it is what you are actually "selling", however I dont normally go halfway when it comes to these sorts of things, and I want the entire "package" to get noticed and appear to be well put together!!

Different colored material backgrounds maybe, colored/decorated papers or whatnot if they dont overpower, though I still want to incorporate props to go with them as I personally like this touch. I am going to really work hard on getting into some of the more prestigious shows (those that are juried extremely well so I want to have a very pulled together and polished "look" to my photos.

I will definately be talking with those that were suggested to try to get some ideas. If anyone has some photos that have an interesting look to them please feel free to forward them to me!! I would love to see that creative side from everyone!!

(And I guess that I managed to delve into the wrong forum for my question, so if this disrupted the fluidity of the room, I apologize profusely)!!

Susan

tipusnr

As usual I have a different take than the majority. I like the set-up in all three photos. They set different moods and show the pens in context with something else. I don't believe that all pen purchasers are officianados (sp?) or purists regarding pens. Pens are a part of their life.

I enjoyed seeing photos that were not as "professional" as most that are posted here. I'm not trying to take anything away from those who have much more experience in this than I do...I am merely stating that I was refreshed in seeing these photos after I got over the confusion of not finding anything out about the pens.

I agree that future experiments of this sort would be more aptly placed in the photography forum.

susan41

Hopefully I am not too embarassed to say that the only lighting that I am using is the natural sunlight that comes into my bedroom window from 8:00am to 10:00am!! (And for those that are really observant....you know who you are.....it is indeed coming from the left side)!!

I am trying to stay away from commercial lighting (just not ready to bite that bullet and invest in the lights, box, etc, but do I really need it? And can someone tell me how the direction of the light effects the overhall picture??

Thanks!!

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom