How to display your pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

:good: People are always asking how to display their pens. Last week I did a show for our Woodworkers Guild, and this is how I used the 2'X8' table I had. The tables were skirted and covered, so nothing had to be done there. I keep my collection of pens in these black leather cases. They are easy to carry, store, dust free, and hold from 24-48 pens eash. I brought about 300 pens to show and a few cases and boxes. You just open them up and your set to go. If you keep your cases full, you can always tell if something is missing if you leave your table unattended. I like to keep the better pens in clear plastic boxes, and lay them on top of mirrors in the front of the display. That way people car handle them and you don't have to clean them off all the time. The lighting in the school was more than enough to show the grains and texrures of the pens, so no added light was needed. If the lighting was not that good, or you wanted to get more attention to your display, add extra lights. Make sure you ask for a space with an outlet if you need one. Add some type of elevation to your display. I have little clear plastic squares my wife uses to display her Snow Babys that work just fine. I elevate the back row of cases so that they are easier to see, and I don't have a flat surface. Keep a nice pad of fancy paper so that people can write with your pens. This way you can show them the difference in how a ball point writes as opposed to a gel roller ball or fountain pen, and why one pen sells for $25 and another for $100. I always bring my 6' King Cobra skin, blanks of wood and acrylic, Polymay Clay, and other odds and ends that I make blanks out of to show people what I start with. Also I bring a few props that I take my photos with to break up the display like the coffins and my mouse. Try to keep your pens in order. Wood, Acrylic, Polymar, Lasor cuts, Stone, and Customs. I do not price all of my pens, because if people just look at the price and don't know the amount of time or money that went into it, they just walk by. If they stop and ask the price, you can explain how it is made and why it sells for that price. On the plastic tubes, I will put a price and discription on the back facing down. That way they have to pick up the pen in their hand. A lot of people will come to a show to get ideas, information, and take photos. It's up to you how much you want to inform them of your process or where you get your supplies from. Our show is not that large, but I must of had 30 people that told me they also turn pens, or wanted to start making that easy money. When I go to do an invitation only art show in Madison, I will only take about 20 or 30 high end pens depending on the space given me. This is a show not a sale !! I use better lighting and unique displays of the pens to better show then off. No judging is done or ribbons given. Keep your display neat and clean, and smile even when your feet and butt are killing you. Jim S

Attachments

• photoMA29858501-0003.jpg
    photoMA29858501-0003.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 508
  • photoMA29858502-0002.jpg
    photoMA29858502-0002.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 431
  • photoMA29858503-0001.jpg
    photoMA29858503-0001.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

When I go to do an invitation only art show in Madison, I will only take about 20 or 30 high end pens depending on the space given me.

It be nice to see your set up at this type of show!

wiset1

Awesome looking display! Just curious...where did you get the coffin display case? About a year ago I did a casting that would be perfect for a case like this.

betwisted

Nice setup! That is a lot to have out there and keep watch over..
I also thought as I was reading through... 300 pens :eek:... that is some time spent in the shop.

Thanks for the information and letting us see how you conduct business. :)
Joe

plantman

Awesome looking display! Just curious...where did you get the coffin display case? About a year ago I did a casting that would be perfect for a case like this.

Tim; Go to a website called darkside displays.com and look for item # 06-18457. $3.00 each. They come with hinges and clasp lock. You will have to finish the Birch wood, make an insert with a groove to hold your pen, self stick felt or flock for the inside, and handles came from Michale's. Michial's has coffins, but they are to short to hold a larger pen. Hope this helps !! Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

That is a lot of inventory!

Dan; This is about half of my personal collection. There are no two alike. I like to make things for myself and to give away. I normally don't sell items unless someone requests something special. This Guild show is the only place I will sell items. Dean ( alphageek ) also had a display at the show. He had maybe 50-100 pens nicely grouped by kind and price and well displayed. His display was easy to take in as you walked by, where mine was a little overwhelming by shear numbers. Sometimes less is more. Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

If you don't price (tag on them) all of your pens, how are you keeping track of what a pen is going to sell for?

John; I hate tags and stickers that can be seen on items. It takes away from the product you are showing unless it can be put out of site. Just my feelings. I have been making pens for a long time ( 15 years ) so I know what each pen kit costs, how much the blank costs, and how much time went into the making of each pen. I'm also a good judge of people and what they can or will pay for a pen. Like I have said before, I'm not doing this to make money. It's an inexpensive way to keep me out of the doctors office and away from the " to do " list. If I had to do it every day, it would be a job, and that's what I retired to get away from. Jim S

plantman

When I go to do an invitation only art show in Madison, I will only take about 20 or 30 high end pens depending on the space given me.

It be nice to see your set up at this type of show!

Bill; I can't give you a preview of my display because I won't know what for sure I will be doing until I see where and what the displays are going to be. This show is put on by a very wealthy gentleman and philatelist who belives in premoting new arts. It is held in his corporate headquarters in Madison, WI. I had shown my egg carvings for him a few years back. They were in well lit glass cases. This show is not open to the public. Not only are the people exibiting, but also the people attending by invitation only. I will post photos of the exibit when I can. Jim S

wiset1

Tim; Go to a website called darkside displays.com and look for item # 06-18457. $3.00 each. They come with hinges and clasp lock. You will have to finish the Birch wood, make an insert with a groove to hold your pen, self stick felt or flock for the inside, and handles came from Michale's. Michial's has coffins, but they are to short to hold a larger pen. Hope this helps !! Jim S

Thank you Jim! :biggrin:

mick

Jim that's a really impressive group of pens! Great way to display em!

I've got a question, in your second picture bottom tray on the right there's a filigree pen. Where is that kit available? I used to sell quite a few as wedding gifts but can no longer find them.
Thanks, Mike

Old Lar

That is a very nice display. May be a few too many to display, but if they can't see them, they can't buy them. Only my opinion.

plantman

Jim that's a really impressive group of pens! Great way to display em!

I've got a question, in your second picture bottom tray on the right there's a filigree pen. Where is that kit available? I used to sell quite a few as wedding gifts but can no longer find them.
Thanks, Mike

Mike ; The Gold kit was sold by Wood Craft last year, but is no longer made that I know of. The closest you could come to it would be the Filigree Sleeves for Slimlines Made by PSI, but they don't compare to the web design on that pen. The sterling silver on the turquoise truestone was sold by Arizona Silhouette before he sold out to Barry Gross. I don't know off hand if Barry still carries this pen line or not by. Check his web site. bgartforms.com Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom