How about this for Buckeye! Looks like stone!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Never seen figure this extreme before.

I almost gave up on it three times, as it was so fussy and full of different densities. Drilling the long blank was tough as it was slightly less than 1/2"x1/2", I just made it by a 1/16" wider than the bushing. I had to finish with sandpaper and had to fill a couple of chip outs before it was done.

Finish is CA.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Buckeye.jpg
    Buckeye.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 591
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerH

I'm fairly new to pen turning, but that is one of the sweetest pieces of wood I have seen. Incredibly cool.

I can imagine you had all the problems you described. Great job for sticking with it, and for getting it to turn out so beautifully. Congrats.

yorkie

Thanks a lot, guys. I debated keeping it but someone just offered me $100 for it...so there it goes. Don't know if I'll ever see another piece of wood like it again.

Sometimes the technical details are as interesting as the pen - and that's one NICE pen! Personally, I am impressed almost as much that you did a Clicker in a difficult wood when the blank was only 1/2". Now THAT'S real good drilling!

sumterdad

That is awesome looking pen. I have only been turning a few months and have turned a few buckeye blanks. And I must say I feel it is my favorite to turn because of the beauty it has.

IPD_Mr

Stephen - After reading your "Need Help" thread, I thought you would have a rather dismal photo. Well the photo is actually pretty good to me. I can actually see the rivets under the clip and the color and swirl of the burl is awesome. Looks like some fancy marble. I think you done good.

yorkie

Stephen - After reading your "Need Help" thread, I thought you would have a rather dismal photo. Well the photo is actually pretty good to me. I can actually see the rivets under the clip and the color and swirl of the burl is awesome. Looks like some fancy marble. I think you done good.

Thanks a lot. I listened to some of the replies posted in my 'need help' photography post and it has definitely helped me improve.

Thanks.

Top Bottom