Hot Tomale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

This is my take on the cast hot pepper pen. It is a scrolled red pepper from a bowling ball set into white resin with swirling splotches of crushed red peppers. It's a tricky pour to get the red peppers to swirl and stay suspended in the resin, but I got it down good now. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• pepper1.jpg
    pepper1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 389
  • pepper2.jpg
    pepper2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 339
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

very cool, but I don't think I would want to turn that one...I would ask if your eyes were burning, but you are the same guy who can turn poison ivy if I remember....

workinforwood

Dan..I don't know if the crushed peppers are super hot or not. I did not lick them, I just dumped them from the jar into the resin. There's lots of peppers but not completely packed with peppers, the idea being to keep the pen more stable than a traditional 100% cast pepper pen. I still did take light cuts with my rotondo, just to be safe. Yes, I can lick poison ivy no problem, but peppers do burn me like anyone else. I wore a mask, but it most likely was not necessary, or at least as far as the pepper dust is concerned. I then sealed the pen with 4 coats of CA.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice work Jeff. I can imagine that stuff would be difficult to work with. I don't recognize the hardware. Is this a kit? Great work.

witz1976

Dan..I don't know if the crushed peppers are super hot or not. I did not lick them, I just dumped them from the jar into the resin. There's lots of peppers but not completely packed with peppers, the idea being to keep the pen more stable than a traditional 100% cast pepper pen. I still did take light cuts with my rotondo, just to be safe. Yes, I can lick poison ivy no problem, but peppers do burn me like anyone else. I wore a mask, but it most likely was not necessary, or at least as far as the pepper dust is concerned. I then sealed the pen with 4 coats of CA.

That is so wrong....:eek::eek:

workinforwood

Very nice, I was wondering. Did you cut the pepper out and then cast white around it???

It's a little more complicated than that, but if you break it down to it's most simplistic explanation, then yes, that's what it is. There is planning involved, a special mold created to make it happen and timing of the pour is very critical.

Mapster

That is a really hot pen. That is one of the cooler pens you have made. It is definitely the coolest "kit" you have done. Simple, yet still good looking. Good job.

Top Bottom