Hot Off The Mandrel!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kurt Aebi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Aebi

I tried something different - I hate guessing games as well, but this one will be fun - I promise!

What material is this pen made from!

Image Insert:
2004819151811_VT%20Soapstone_Sm.jpg

37.37KB

I also made a Pen & Pencil set for myself from an Ash Burl I scavanged from my father's farm.

Image Insert:
2004819151912_Ash%20Burl_Sm.jpg

41.18KB

And a set I made from Tiger Maple scavanged from a local cabinet shop's scrap bin

Image Insert:
2004819152011_Tiger%20Maple_Sm.jpg

39.6KB

What do you all think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CL

First inclination would be acrylic. But I would say colored wood. [?] I won't guess what type, it's to hard to tell from the picture.

Kurt Aebi

Naghty-naughty Bill [}:)] lol

I got a piece of soapstone from a co-worker that had a strip leftover from a countertop job. It is about 1"thick and 1" x 2" by about 2 ft.

This stuff machines pretty well with standard HSS tooling, it comes off as a talc-like powder. I need to work on th efinish a little though - CA just sits on the surface and doesn't really do the stone justice.

Any advice for a nice finish would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking part in the guessing game - Told you this one would be fun!

Scott

Soapstone? Interesting!

I really like the ash set you made for yourself! It's not that easy to match up the shapes on two pieces, and you did it well!

Scott.

paleydp

At our local woodturners meeting last night, one of the members did a 'show and tell' on a soapstone bowl he turned. He also had problems with the finish. One of the members said he finishes soapstone with steelwool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom