For a horse lover...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

A gift for a friend who's very much into horse shows and such. The wood is a piece of stabilized Macrocarpa from robutacion (George's Bits o' Timber).

I finished with BLO and then CA over that. Interesting that it turned out so much lighter than the blank. I think the "sample" side of the blank had lacquer on it, which seems to have penetrated much deeper than my BLO. I'm happy with the color, though, and actually like the lighter color better, I think. Kinda reminds me of an old leather.

George was kind enough to donate a gift certificate for the last "Pretty Wood" competition. I hadn't considered ordering anything from Australia, being in the USA, but was pleasantly surprised that the shipping cost and time really wasn't that much different.

Attachments

• CowboyPen-101.jpg
    CowboyPen-101.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 263
  • CowboyPen-100.jpg
    CowboyPen-100.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 263
  • CowboyPen-102.jpg
    CowboyPen-102.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the final pen.

From the picture it looks like you finished it back down to a matte finish (which I like). It would have been interesting to see the original blank from the end, to see a hint of the final grain pattern.

I agree that it is much more subtle than the displayed blank - but what we get after turning is a roll of the dice! I do like this final product.

Thank you for posting.

budnder

...finished it back down to a matte finish...

Yeah, I didn't think shiny was going to work with that "worn" metal. After I got the CA finished as per usual, I hit it with one of the courser micro mesh pads - the Green 2400 as I recall. That knocked the shine off of it and gave it a "flat" finish.

robutacion

I haven't seen one of those finished for a long time so, thank you for showing it to us.

Macrocarpa tends to let the dyed Cactus Juice to penetrate in a very strange way, there is, one never know where the dye colour will show up but, the contrast is good and settle so, a very nice job in the end. That kit does suit that blanks well, congrats.

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom