Hooded nib kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

I have had an picture in my head for months now of a hooded nib pen, and decided it was about time I laid it to rest!
It was quite a challenge, but overall I am quite pleased with it. There are a few bits I would do differently, probably narrow the front near the nib, and make the cap a bit fatter with the possibility of a metal band right at the bottom of the cap for strength. I would like to use sterling silver as I'm not keen on the way ally tarnishes.
Critiques and suggestions more than welcome.

IMG_0226.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0228.jpgIMG_0230.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Very cool pen. I like the centre connector (?) that serves to accent the barrel too. Clever. :good: The friction fit cap also great. It will be hard not to incorporate some of your ideas in future pens. Thanks for letting us see it.

Great idea. I have seen a few in production pens but not in a handmade kitless. I really like the colors and the shape. The only thing I don't like about a lot of the kitless pens is that they are see through. Beautiful pen.

watch_art

Dude you're crazy. THat's friggin awesome and there's no way I'll ever mess around with making something like that.
Beautiful job and when Haynie says the bar went up a notch, yeah, keep raising the bar a bit higher - one notch doesn't come close.
Awesome.

Simplex

Thanks really good! Very professional looking. Not only is the hood well done but the addition of o-ring for the friction cap is great as well. Looking forward to seeing more. I bet you could raise the bar by using ebonite or one of Johnathan's blanks (for more flare). Great work!

PenMan1

Very nicely done! This wonderful pen really makes me miss Butch (LBD2000). Butch was always a finatic for making hooded nib pens. I'm sure he would love this one.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's yours and not mine! Very thoughtful design. Excellent execution.

Last edited:

BSea

I too really like the friction cap with the o-ring. That's the 1st I've seen like that. I also like the connector, and that would really be cool in silver.

The only thing I don't like about a lot of the kitless pens is that they are see through. Beautiful pen.
I used to think that too. But now I'm kind of wanting to do some clearer pens. Maybe after I've polished the inside of one I'll change my mind.:eek:

Last edited:

Twissy

Blimey, I've not had so many positive comments since my kids were born!:)
Thanks to all for your feedback, it is appreciated.

Gary and Brian, I think this style would suit an Ebonite, and would love to do it in Cumberland.

Andy, Initially I was a bit sad that it mad you think of someone you miss, but then thought something that makes us think of people we care about should be a good thing.:)

Cheers
John

PenMan1

Oh no, John, don't be sad! This pen could be the very one to bring Butch back "into the fold"!

This pen is a GOOD thing. The o ring makes me smile and remember the "clutch" fit of the Parker21s that I was always so fond of. You took an element from a classic and added a level of elegance.

bluwolf

Now that is slick! Yup, I think Butch would be proud. Very nice job on the connector. Well done.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice John. I've always like the concept of the hood, but have yet to try to make one. Looks like it CAN be done. Thanks for sharing with us.

Twissy

Thanks again folks.

I've had a couple of members ask about the centre connector. The threads are M9x0.75 on the section side and M10x0.75 on the barrel side. The thread for the feed holder is M7.4x0.5.

Cheers
John

Top Bottom