Hooded Nib FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a Hooded Nib FP made from some homebrew black pearl PR and some stainless steel and a hooded nib front section from a donor FP .
Pretty basic FP but it writes well . It lays down a wet line for a fine point . It accepts either a cartridge or a converter

1_hoodednibfp.jpg

1_hoodednibfp2.jpg

As always , comments are welcome .

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Butch,
That is one good looking pen. I was told by another member that he gets his sections and parts from old pens. How hard is it to match up parts or than a complete drill set and some taps?

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone .
I've always loved the hooded nib pens like the Parker 51 . I just like the sleekness of them , they look kind of futuristic in a retro way .
The front section comes from a Chinese Jinhao FP I picked up at a local flea market and for a cheap pen it writes very nicely , it feeds well and it feels smooth for a fine point . It has oddball threads so I had to make a tap to thread the barrel coupler . The cap threads are triple start .
The blank comes from a batch that I poured awhile ago that have fantastic swirls in it . I've been saving them for special pens and I thought it would go great with this hardware.
The front section is Anodized Aluminum , the coupler I made from Aluminum and the clip is stainless steel .

Cris , you WILL need a full set of drill bits but the taps are not over the counter . I guess they could be ordered but they would be expensive , and so far the few I have played with the threads are all different sizes ...ALL oddball sizes and pitches . The threads for this one were 8.67 x .7 , good luck finding that tap .

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
......... It has oddball threads so I had to make a tap to thread the barrel coupler ............

I agree that it is a very cool pen,:biggrin: but making the tap is very impressive:eek:.
Please share how you made it, particularly the flutes.

ldb2000

I agree that it is a very cool pen,:biggrin: but making the tap is very impressive:eek:.
Please share how you made it, particularly the flutes.

It's not really a tap as much as a thread chaser but for the aluminum it worked ok . Basically it's a bolt with flutes cut into it . I think I got the idea from you .
I simply turned down a piece of a steel rod that I had to the measured diameter I needed and threaded it at 36 tpi (the closest I could find with the change gears I have) . Then I fluted it with a dremel and a handful of cutoff disks on my jet with the indexing (I don't have a milling machine yet). That was the hard part , it took 4 disks per flute to cut the flutes and then cleaned up the cutting edge with some warding files and a CC diamond hone , I put a slight positive rake on the cutting edge. It's not pretty but it worked well enough to get the job done . Next time I'm gonna try to use a carbide cutter bit and a fluting jig that I made for fluting pens , if I can ever get it to work right .

Top Bottom