An Honor and a Privilege

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

I took the opportunity today to present a pen to one of Americas True Heroes, right here in my hometown. Right down the block here in my own neighborhood, as a matter of fact. I am privileged to live near David McNerny, 1SG, USA (retired) and have met and spoken to him on several occasions. 1SG McNerny was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in battle on 22 March 1967. Info is easily googled.

Jim Walter and I have collaborated on several pens in the past, he casts the ribbon blanks and I make pens from them (as does he) I had discussed with him the improbabilities of being able to make a Medal of Honor pen, and decided that it would be almost impossible, perhaps even illegal, and I finally decided, maybe not in the best of taste. In any case, I decided to use one of Jim's cast Vietnam Service Ribbons and make a .30 cal casing pen to present to Mr. McNerny. In Looking up his contact info online, I discovered that he was near the end of his battle with cancer, and not expected to live past this month. I had spoken with him just before the 4'th of July while he was selling fireworks(!) at the American Legion hall, and he had been very upbeat, and happy to be supporting his favorite organization. I immediately finished up the pen below, and called his house to inquire as to his condition. He answered, and said that he was doing fine, and would be quite happy with a quick visit. I gave him the pen and stand on behalf of Jim and myself, and he was quite pleasantly surprised. I believe that, like most true Hero's, he feels that his actions were nothing extraordinary, and seems a bit embarrassed by attention. He used the pen to sign the copied Medal of Honor Society card for me, and I bid him a good day. Our country will truly be diminished by the passing of one of it's finest citizens all too soon. I am very glad that I was able to give him a small token of my esteem in person, rather than finding out that I was too late.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 257
  • PICT0107.JPG
    PICT0107.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 345
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Very Cool

Hard to top this story. Great thing you did for this gentleman.
I met a medal of honor winner last year and he to said what he did was not special. It was just done in battle to save some comrads.
We need to spend more time honoring our military like this, before they are all gone.:)

penfancy

Excellent work, James! Giving ,as you have, will reap many rewards from the heart! Thank you for sharing your story and relationship with David.

Rfturner

That is a great story,

Many of our countries finest men and woman have fought and stood for what is right. It is an honor to meet such fine examples of American bravery

jwalt191

James,

That is an awsome pen. Looks very good. I am very glad he is still feeling good and up for the visit. Give him my warmest regards and sincerest thanks next time you see him. You did a wonderful job on the pen, and that is exactly why I started making those. Truly great. Here is the link to David McNerney on wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_H._McNerney

Jim

Top Bottom