An honor to make.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlajoie

toddlajoie

I was honored to be asked to make a pen as a gift for Grand Master Lim, Hyun Soo, who is visiting this week in New Jersey and Maine to give seminars in Korean Hapkido and Kuhapdo. Our school's master has been learning directly from Grand Master Lim for many years, and always presents him with a gift when they get together. His wife asked if I would make a pen as a gift, and of course I was honored to have the opportunity. This was just last Friday, so we were limitted by what I had on hand for materials, so I brought her a variety of the woods and acrylics that I had and a bunch of sample pens for her to choose from. She was originally thinking about ebony, but as I did not have any, and had heard so many people mentioning cracking issues, I recommended against it, suggesting African Blackwood as an alternative. I also suggested a great looking piece of stabilized Black Ash burl, as something that was more native to our area, and would be considered exotic in Korea. She preferred the Cigar style, and asked that I make one of each. I did the Black Ash first,and thought it came out spectacular in a Hybrid Cigar. I brought it in to work to show my boss, and take some photos. I had a few problems with the CA finish on the African Blackwood (my own fault...) and because of that, it was not finished until just a bit before I was going to see her, so I was unable to get photos of it. I thought that there was no question that the Black Ash was a much more impressive pen. She agreed, but wanted to take both, for her husband to decide. Unfortunatly I did not get a chance to take a photo of the African Blackwood pen, done in a Chrome Ultra Cigar, but I think it looked quite nice. I won't know for sure which one he decided to give him until tomorrow when we attend the seminar, but either way, I was thrilled to be able to do this...

Black_Ash_Burl_Cigar_01a.jpg

Black_Ash_Burl_Cigar_01b.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CV Wood

Great looking pen. You can be proud of your work. I am sure the person getting the pen will be proud to have it.

mrburls

Nice work. I like your choice of wood for the blank. I'm sure he will appreciate the pen and your work.

Keith "mrburls"

rlofton

Very nice! The only thing I can think of that might improve it would be to have 영광 그랜드 마스터 engraved on it, "Honored Grand Master."

Mark

WOW. What an honor. Nicely Done.

I really like the Black Ash. That is a very regal looking pen.

toddlajoie

Thanks for all the comments folks!!!

Very nice! The only thing I can think of that might improve it would be to have 영광 그랜드 마스터 engraved on it, "Honored Grand Master."

We discussed engraving, but with a 3 day turn around, the time just was not there.... I'll have to keep that for future use, thanks!!

wizard

You did a BEAUTIFUL job. I have trouble with CA finishes sometimes also. But your finish looks like glass. Just gorgeous!!

animefan

Great looking wood, great looking kit, and great looking box he should honored.

Top Bottom