Honey Locust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

Nothing too special, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone post something done in Honey Locust, so thought I'd share. It's stabilized with Cactus Juice orange, then CJ blue.

I have a dozen or so Honey Locust and a storm over the winter knocked a bunch of smaller branches down. I gathered them up to see what kind of blanks they'd make. They're a little on the small side so I reached into my "Trimline" bin for a kit and drilled and glued in the tubes, thinking I'd just do something quick and dirty to see what it looked like.. I think I've only ever made one trimline. When I got ready to turn and was double checking the bushings, I noticed one tube was longer than the other... further investigation showed I somehow had a "Designer" rather than a "Trimline". I don't have bushings for a "Designer"... oh well, I know you can make a pen without bushings so... whatever. Then when I started figuring out the dimensions I noticed I had to cut a tenon and this little quick and dirty started to become more of a skill builder.

In the end, the Desgner made a nice looking pen, though I can't say I'm crazy for how it feels in the hand. Maybe for a smaller hand it'd be ok.

As for the Honey Locust, it's got some definite possibilities - it's very grainy and has lots of character. It's on the "dark" side, so I think my blue CJ is not a good match - next time I'll try a lighter color like Yellow CJ.

Attachments

• UnderwoodPens-8648.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-8648.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 234
  • UnderwoodPens-8649.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-8649.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 215
  • UnderwoodPens-8651.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-8651.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 217

D.Oliver

Here's a honey locust pen I did in 2011.

You're looks much better than mine. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

SDB777

Nothing wrong with the blue....makes for a nice 'difference'.

Harvested a bunch of Honey Locust before I hurt myself, the logs are still stacked in my 'spot' waiting for me to bring the sawmill to them. Three big crotches, and maybe another 850bdft of 'lumber'/'slabs' will come off the rest of the stuff. If you get a chance, you'll love the heartwood!

Scott (nicely turned) B

Top Bottom