Honduras Rosewood Burl redemption

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0411.JPGAfter I destroyed a HRB blank :eek: , I had to turn another . This wood was given to me to make a pen for a special lady . It is a Jr. Statesmen RB with Black Ti centerband and cap design . Thanks all for looking , and as always , comments appreciated .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking pen Charles, you done good!

Hope the special lady appreciated your efforts.
Thank you Fred ! It goes to the engraver today , along with a liftbox like yours . I do hope she likes the pen . The work I've done does not compare to the work she is doing . It's very humbling . She deserves my best effort .

Bree

Chuck did a FANTASTIC job on the pen! Outstanding!!!

Chuck asked me to say something about the story behind this pen. So here it is.

Chuck told me that he loved the Honduran Rosewood Burl and wondered if he could get some. I told him that I would give him some if he agreed to make a beautiful pen for the mother of a dead US soldier. He readily agreed and I sent him a supply of HRB and some other blanks.

He contributed an excellent kit and his considerable skill. He got a laser engraver to engrave some special words on both the pen and the box that Chuck also contributed. So it is a team effort with several people involved and Chuck doing the heavy lifting so to speak.

The soldier was a Marine crew chief on the CH-53 Sea Stallions used for heavy lift operations in Horn of Africa. He was killed when two helicopters collided during a mission near Djibouti. He was 20 years old.

I met his mom when I spent two days with the Patriot Guard at his funeral. She was devastated by the loss of her son but held her composure and did much to support others including us in the PGR.

I stood 5 feet from the gravesite and watched as the Marines did fly overs and fly bys with two CH-53's at the cemetery in perfect timing and synchronization with the funeral. It was unbelievably impressive and mom often speaks of how impressed she was by the Marine heavy lifters. It was amazing to see her deep pride and patriotism showing through the terrible emotions of burying her fallen son.

Since then she has helped many moms like herself and been a staunch advocate for our soldiers especially those killed in overseas operations. She has earned the love, honor, and respect of many people. I am one of them and now Chuck is as well.

She knows that something special is going to happen soon... but she doesn't know exactly what. She is like a little girl giddy with anticipation at what the surprise might be. I am going to ask her to have her husband take PIX when the package of whatever it is arrives... as she opens it. He can send the PIX back to us and we can share them with you all.

I think Chuck's pen will light up her life in a way that few things can. In so doing it gives that much more meaning and value to what we do and CAN do!!

So that is what this project is about. I won't reveal the names of the soldier and his mom or what will be engraved yet. You will learn that when she has her engraved pen and engraved box.

BTW... Chuck has persevered through some significant trials to get this project done. He deserves a LOT of respect and thanks from me. He is a rare man... a very, very good man and I am thrilled to be associated with him.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcav1952
Flawless, Chuck, just flawless!!

Yep Chuck, ever since you got the bubbles moving in that bottle your work has improved!! :biggrin::wink::biggrin:

:biggrin: :redface: Thanks Cav ! I recall having a tough time with that as well .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Bree , it was an honor and a privlege to make this pen . Thank you for asking . Story was well told .

Thanks one and all for the very nice comments !

Last edited:
Top Bottom