Honduran Rosewood Burl Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I scored some awesome HRB Burls and cut one slice out of one of them. I grabbed a stub and did a test Sierra. Here it is!

scimg4735.jpg

scimg4726.jpg

scimg4728.jpg

scimg4729.jpg

Sorry about the nighttime flash shots. Was out riding on a long motorcycle ride. Many coats of Med CA and a Beall triple buff.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Thx! I am on vacation this week so I hope to have some more goodies to show!!

Bree

Beautiful pen Bree . That wood has some amazing grain and color . Your fit and finish are spot on and the overall shape is perfect . Great job .

Thx! The burl had some strong endgrain in part of it and I tried something that I learned here. I sanded the blank to create some dust and then put Medium CA right on the sandpaper and caused the wood's own dust to fill the prominent pores. Then I sanded it back and voila the pores were filled and the finishing could start. That helped me get the CA finish much smoother than I usually get. And it was easier to do the CA this way.

I also skimped way down on the tung oil concoction that I like to use. I used barely enough oil to put a shine on the blank. I think that reducing the amount of oil I was using helped get a higher quality finish.

I am learning from you guys!

Buzzzz4

Great looking pen, but I think you need someone to take a better pic of it for you. How bout you send it on over and I'll help you out with that. You can even package it with some of that burl score. Great find!

Top Bottom