Honduran Rosewood Burl on Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's Honduran Rosewood Burl Eye wood on a 22K Jr. Statesman Rollerball. I think I got a little carried away with the CA finish:rolleyes: Sorry, the pictures look a little dark. Probably will retake them. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• HRB Jr. Statesman_2.jpg
    HRB Jr. Statesman_2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 239
  • HRB Jr. Statesman_1.jpg
    HRB Jr. Statesman_1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 158
  • HRB Jr. Statesman.jpg
    HRB Jr. Statesman.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terryf

Beautiful Doc, favorite wood and kit :) Actually it wood be a toss up between HRB and DIWB - either way, this is a stunner!
Thanks for sharing :)

Len Shreck

Looking at this pen and being a turner for about a year all I can say is WOW!!! I can NEVER get my finishes to look that good. I always end up just putting BLO on them and then some type of shellac (sp) on them. I have read the processes so many time have tried different styles but no luck. I am very glad that its working for some one. Very Very nice pen love the wood also. Len

wizard

Looking at this pen and being a turner for about a year all I can say is WOW!!! I can NEVER get my finishes to look that good. I always end up just putting BLO on them and then some type of shellac (sp) on them. I have read the processes so many time have tried different styles but no luck. I am very glad that its working for some one. Very Very nice pen love the wood also. Len

Len, Thank you for the kind words.
Don't give up on CA finish as I used to have trouble as well and worked through it. I'll share the technique that I use on this pen as well as others.
I don't use BLO. After turning, I went from 150 to 600 grit with sandpaper, cleaned surface with alcohol pad and let dry. I used two coats of thin CA and then eight coats of medium CA. At slow speed, each application of CA is placed directly on the pen from the bottle and very quickly wiped across the blank with with a folded paper towel. I finish the CA between coats by lightly spraying with accelerant from the aerosol spray can while lathe is turning at high speed. After the final application of the CA and then accelerator, I then lightly go over the surface of the CA finish with 600 grit wet sandpaper to get rid of any ripples or high spots. Then use MM, also wet, from 1200 to 12000 grit wiping off the surface with water and cloth between grits. Last, I use 2 coats of HUT Plastic Polish applying it at low speed and then buffing it off with the lathe at high speed using a clean microfiber cloth. At that point, you have pretty much a glass like finish. I hope that helps. Probably more than you wanted to know. Regards, Doc

Last edited:

GoodTurns

very nice depth on the finish...HRB has to be in my top 5 for materials as well, simply amazing what can come out of it!

Len, I believe CA season just opened in most of Pennsylvania (opened in MD about 3 weeks ago). Heat and humidity seem to be the magic mix for me....I turn resins (almost said plastic....) and other stuff during the cold months, then work on woods that require CA when it warms up....this has been my pattern for a couple years, give it a try!

Top Bottom