Honduran Rosewood Burl on Black Ti Sienna!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is another one! 25 something coats of med CA. It's a really curly sappy piece of honduran rosewood burl, awesome!

I am addicted!!! It's been roughly 2 years I started turning, I have done nearly 200 pens, most of them are done when I can squeeze out a few hours out of my busy schedule. I am not really interested in making money out of this but I always manage selling a few here and there! Rock on!

Clicky the thumbnails and thanks for looking.

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ragz

Great looking pen!!!! but I've got to ask this...

Are you carrying your finish on to the nib and finial of that pen? I don't think I've ever seen a Sierra based kit with parts that are as glossy as what's in your picture.

25 coats?!?!

Great looking pen

CharlesH

Those kits came glossy! :)

Charles

Great looking pen!!!! but I've got to ask this...

Are you carrying your finish on to the nib and finial of that pen? I don't think I've ever seen a Sierra based kit with parts that are as glossy as what's in your picture.

25 coats?!?!

Great looking pen

Very nice. You may know I love HRB and that looks to be a perfect piece. Not a big fan of the kit but that may be because I need to sell mine and for some reason I cannot sell those.

Finatic

Charles, your photography is awesome! (so are the pens) What are you using for a camera and lens? Inquiring minds want to know..............
R

bensoelberg

Charles, your photography is awesome! (so are the pens) What are you using for a camera and lens? Inquiring minds want to know..............
R

If I remember correctly, Charles just takes about 100 photos of each pen, then just chooses the best one or two. No fancy setup or anything. Is that right Charles?

CharlesH

R

If I remember correctly, Charles just takes about 100 photos of each pen, then just chooses the best one or two. No fancy setup or anything. Is that right Charles?

1- Shaky hand (trying not to drop the pen while taking snaps)
2- 200$ point and shoot camera without any possible adjustment
3- The wall of my house in the backyard at background
4- 200 photos in burst mode by holding the camera by hand

That's how I roll.

Charles

greggas

Charles...gorgeous work as always...great eye for wood.

I wonder every time I see your posts stating 25-30 coats of CA...do you think that there will be a problem with cracking up the road? the current issue of American Woodturner has an interesting article on CA and a couple world renowned long time turners talk about how they swore off CA due to it's failing 7-10 years after application.

CharlesH

Charles...gorgeous work as always...great eye for wood.

I wonder every time I see your posts stating 25-30 coats of CA...do you think that there will be a problem with cracking up the road? the current issue of American Woodturner has an interesting article on CA and a couple world renowned long time turners talk about how they swore off CA due to it's failing 7-10 years after application.

Hey Greg,

I am really confident. I have a few pens that I use on a daily basis and they went through the winter and the summer so far. I had snakewood pens that cracked but that's it.

I usually need 10 coats including sanding to get a smooth finish then I go for another 10 to 15. My finish is really thin, regarding the 7-10 years failing glue I will have to ask my sponsor about this, they been in the business for 41 years. They answered all my concerns regarding CA finishing in the past.

Can you please point out the exact reference of the article I will forward it to them. ;)

Thanks,

Charles

Last edited:

wizard

Stunning!!!..OK...Charles...this is a bit much to take in one evening....you take my two favorite woods...you make two AWESOME pens.....with GORGEOUS pictures. Shame on you!!!! :biggrin: Doc

Top Bottom