Honduran Rosewood Burl Aero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I turned this HRB Aero yesterday. After roughing the blank, I used only a Bedan tool to turn this. It's not an easy tool to master but it was sure fun. I had a small chipout and had to do a CA and dust/chips job but it really isn't noticable. I wanted to turn the pen with no bulges to see how that straight style looked on the Aero. I kinda like it straight.

Sanded to 600 grit, triple buff, MM-12000 from 2400, 5 coats of CA/BLO, MM-12,000, double buff, Ren Wax. Experimented with my new photo tent too.

sCIMG5089.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Great looking pen Bree! That's one beautiful piece of wood. The photo is really weird..it's not good and it's really great at the same time. I'm the wrong guy to ask..but I think what you need to do is slow down the shutter speed to expand the focus more to the outer ends of the pen? It is a cool photo though at the same time...so what do I know!

Texatdurango

You know, I've noticed something with your pens for a while now. Not only do you use nice blanks bit it's obvious (at least to me) that you take your time and situate the blank just right on your pen so they show off the best feature rather than just assemble the pen.

Your craftsmanship looks very nice!

Bree

Nice pen! Where did you get that honduran rosewood burl from?

I got the burl from Rockler. The deal I got is obscene. If you search on my threads you will find details about it. I cut one of the three that I got. Two of them are "mellowing " gracefully.

Thanks guys for the nice comments. They are appreciated!

The photo certainly needs work. I have a second white tent which I am going to try. I have been having a problem with white reflections from the white sides of the black tent appearing on the black reflective acrylic. So I had to zoom in and that reduced the depth of field. Plus I used my little point and shoot instead on my big Panasonic/Leica camera. Hopefully I will figure out how to get some better PIX soon.
:wink::wink::wink:

Phunky_2003

You know, I've noticed something with your pens for a while now. Not only do you use nice blanks bit it's obvious (at least to me) that you take your time and situate the blank just right on your pen so they show off the best feature rather than just assemble the pen.

Your craftsmanship looks very nice!

Bree I couldn't agree more than what George said. You do some fabulous work and really set off your blanks with your kits. Beautiful work.

James

Bree

Bree I couldn't agree more than what George said. You do some fabulous work and really set off your blanks with your kits. Beautiful work.

James

Thanks so much!! Let me tell you something... when George talks I listen. His work is utterly spectacular. I have been to his website many times admiring his flawless finishes, outstanding turning, and wonderful sense of balance and design. Would that one day my pens could look as good as his! And that is NOT a paid advertisement. It is my critical judgement. He rocks.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

bitshird

Bree, it sure is a beautiful pen, and a super nice piece of HRB, I agree with George, I like the way you positioned the wood on the pen, it shows some thought towards the end product, Excellent work, and doing it with a Bedan tool took some nerve.

Bree

Bree, it sure is a beautiful pen, and a super nice piece of HRB, I agree with George, I like the way you positioned the wood on the pen, it shows some thought towards the end product, Excellent work, and doing it with a Bedan tool took some nerve.

Actually the Bedan tool worked very well. Once you get the hang of it the tool is very very useful especially for something like a pen. It allows you to go right down to the bushings without touching them as I sometimes do when using my skew. It was good for getting a nice linear shape... it just slides right across cutting on the leading point.

I also tried using it "on the bevel" by flipping it over compared to the way that Escoulen does it. That works too! It is a very versatile tool especially for small work like a pen since the tool is much larger relatively speaking when dealing with such a small item.

I am going to try using it on a pendant and maybe on some cigar pens and see what happens. Worst that can happen is that I get a bad catch and wipe out a blank!
:wink::wink::wink:

Top Bottom