Honduran Rosewood Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's Honduran Rosewood Burl with some Sapwood from Exotic Blanks. Put it on on a Black Titanium Navigator. Really liked the overall
look of the wood. Thank you so much for looking. Have a great Sunday! Doc:)

Attachments

• Honduran Rosewood Burl on Navigator_2.jpg
    Honduran Rosewood Burl on Navigator_2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Honduran Rosewood Burl on Navigator_1.jpg
    Honduran Rosewood Burl on Navigator_1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Honduran Rosewood Burl on Navigator.jpg
    Honduran Rosewood Burl on Navigator.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Eyeshooter

That's a beauty, Doc! I've been saving a piece of HRB from Ed and Dawn. I think you've convinced me that blank would look better as a pen. Great photo, as always.
John

ldb2000

Beautiful pen Doc . Your fit and finish are outstanding as always . My favorite wood for pens seems to change from week to week , but HRB has stood the test of time , I loved it the first time I saw it and still do .

wizard

Beautiful pen Doc . Your fit and finish are outstanding as always . My favorite wood for pens seems to change from week to week , but HRB has stood the test of time , I loved it the first time I saw it and still do .

Butch, Thank you for your kind words. For the great majority of wood pens, I have stuck with Amboyna Burl. This is my second try at Honduran Rosewood Burl and I love it. I can't really describe why other than there is such a beautiful, unique and unpredictable character to the wood.
Regards, Doc

jttheclockman

That definetly is a nice piece of timber and you capture the beauty with your finish.

I am thinking of doing a series of wood pens this year and doing abit of experimenting at both my shows and my web site. I am going to do the traditional CA finish and also do a gloss down version so that it looks and feels like wood and want to see for myself what my customers think. I am still not convinced what is the better way. I like the CA look because to me it adds that depth like you get when you use lacquer on wood. I can't say the same for polyurethanes though.

This is one of the woods I will use. Thanks for showing.

JD Combs Sr

An absolutely beautiful pen and I don't even like the navigator series. If I had to have one this would be it.

BTW I am interested in the hardware color. You said it was "Black Titanium" yet it looks very much like gold. Perhaps it is Titanium Gold rather then black titanium?? Or perhaps it is just the photo??

wizard

An absolutely beautiful pen and I don't even like the navigator series. If I had to have one this would be it.

BTW I am interested in the hardware color. You said it was "Black Titanium" yet it looks very much like gold. Perhaps it is Titanium Gold rather then black titanium?? Or perhaps it is just the photo??

JD, Thank you for your kind comments. It is black titanium. However, I also notice the yellowing. I think it is the photo. To the best of my knowledge it is most likely due to the incandescent lighting used around the lightbox. However, I noticed that that the yellowing does not happen on a white or blue background. I am going to try different techniques to eliminate that. Regards, Doc

wizard

I keep clicking on this thread to look at the photos again.

What an awesome piece of wood.

Joe, Thank you! The blank came in a gift basket this Christmas that was put together by my son aka OldReg and Dawn at Exotics. The blank was one of the first that caught my eye when I took the wrapping off. It is truly the most beautiful piece of wood I have turned. Regards, Doc

Fred

Excellent workmanship.

BTW, I do believe that the 'yellowing' you all are concerned about is from the light source used to illuminate the pen. Try using anything like fluorescents and see if the colors don't change. Also, it really helps if all lights used are from the same case and/or from the same manufacturer. Not all lights are made the same way and they can even change a bit in different batch runs. Do not mix fluorescents and incandescents either, unless you are trying to get color shifts on purpose.

6000 Kelvin lights are daylight balanced and even in this day and age of digital cameras the colors can become altered. A good graphics program such as Photoshop will allow you to 'balance' the colors to your liking.

Again, Doc, this is a beautiful pen!

wizard

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement!

Excellent workmanship.

BTW, I do believe that the 'yellowing' you all are concerned about is from the light source used to illuminate the pen. Try using anything like fluorescents and see if the colors don't change. Also, it really helps if all lights used are from the same case and/or from the same manufacturer. Not all lights are made the same way and they can even change a bit in different batch runs. Do not mix fluorescents and incandescents either, unless you are trying to get color shifts on purpose.

6000 Kelvin lights are daylight balanced and even in this day and age of digital cameras the colors can become altered. A good graphics program such as Photoshop will allow you to 'balance' the colors to your liking.

Again, Doc, this is a beautiful pen!

Fred, I use lights that are 5000-6000 deg Kelvin. I use the Auto White balance feature on the camera. I usually use the As Shot feature on the raw image when opened in Adobe Bridge. I went back and used the Auto white balance feature in Adobe Bridge and it eliminated most of the yellowing. Thank You! Regards, Doc

Top Bottom