Homebrew Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from reiddog1

reiddog1

Hey guys and gals. I've been having a blast trying my hand at casting. Here is one that came out pretty good IMHO. A little blue, purple, and black and shazzam! Maybe next I'll work on my picture taking :). As always, comments welcome. Enjoy.

Dave

Attachments

• IMAG0364.jpg
    IMAG0364.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

Great colors. It goes great with the kit. Casting is fun and you never know what you end up with. I will be working on another one this week myself.

reiddog1

I know what you mean. I've been casting about 5 blanks a day for about 4 days straight. Love it when I finally get to cut into them and see what lays underneath. I think I need an intervention!!

Dave

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking pen and I love your blank. Great job.

On the photography part, why is there a pink cast to the photo? I believe this could be corrected with photoshop. Just a thought.

reiddog1

photoshop

Tried to PhotoShop for a little better representation. Hope this helps.

Dave

Great looking pen and I love your blank. Great job.

On the photography part, why is there a pink cast to the photo? I believe this could be corrected with photoshop. Just a thought.

Attachments

• IMAG0364_edit0.jpg
    IMAG0364_edit0.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0365_edit0.jpg
    IMAG0365_edit0.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 134

SDB777

Nice three color pour you did there. Well timed too by the looks of the swirls. That is the hard part, catch the resin just before it goes nutz and you end up with a blob of stuff to pour.......

Nice choice in colors too....

Scott (the pen is great btw) B

reiddog1

3 color pour

Eric,

I vertical cast in PVC, so it makes it a little more difficult. I use the 3 oz paper cups when I pour, so I take the primary color in one hand and the other two colors in the other and try not to make a mess. Brian from fools4peppers has a great video on YouTube that I basically followed to a T. The only hint that I'll throw out is, the fuller the cup, the harder it is not to make a big mess. Hope this helps.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=eMF1qeGphTk

Dave

Hi Dave, fantastic blank. How did you manage to pour 3 colors at once?!!

Great looking pen as well.

Eric...

Last edited:

RSidetrack

Dave,
I myself cast in PVC - and you are right, those multiple cups can be quite cumbersome. Two colors is pretty easy, once you start adding a third or fourth - watch out!

Great job on the pen!!!!
Eric,

I vertical cast in PVC, so it makes it a little more difficult. I use the 3 oz paper cups when I pour, so I take the primary color in one hand and the other two colors in the other and try not to make a mess. Brian from fools4peppers has a great video on YouTube that I basically followed to a T. The only hint that I'll throw out is, the fuller the cup, the harder it is not to make a big mess. Hope this helps.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Dave

Hi Dave, fantastic blank. How did you manage to pour 3 colors at once?!!

Great looking pen as well.

Eric...

RSidetrack

I wanted to try and bring out the colors a bit more, hope you don't mind :wink:

Also without seeing it IRL hopefully it is a close match :rolleyes:

As for taking the pictures, I am not sure what kind of camera you have, but try doing a custom white balance setting. That should remove the yellow hue you get. Then it is a matter of exposure to get a great shot. I have been doing photography for years, and I still am not happy with my pen pictures lol, it is always a work in progress.

Again, great job on the casting, I love that color scheme.

Attachments

• JohnPen.jpg
    JohnPen.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 98

ghostrider

That looks like it would be great to see in person. Just the pic looks pretty good, and I'm guessing that those don't do it justice. I like the way the swirls are subtle, and smokey.

Top Bottom