Homebrew Am Flat Top=-questions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TheHoneymooners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have others had problems with the American Flatop pen? We just LOVE the way this pen looks-- its so classy. BUT its a royal pain in the butt as most all we've gotten are so stiff you can hardly turn them. We'll probably not even have a single one at the show, until we know whats wrong. Mike even took off the top piece and its still stiff, so its obviously the mechanism-- but how to fix it? Any clues??

Anyway...this is an all black homebrew with tons of Sunflower microfine glitter. Much prettier in person. Plan to do a perfume pen of this stuff.

20058224016_BlkGoldAmFTHB.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The direction for the woodcrafts "b" company "Parker style pen"instruct you to assemble the pen from the nib up.
Griz has posted instructions for assembling the pen in a different way than the WC tutorial.
The first 20 pens I turned were from this particular kit.
It is a ROYAL PITA! (for me anyway,and if not for me possible problems if the customer doesn't get the hint and continues to turn the barrel after the refill is extended)
The transmission fits inside the cap finial from the top.
If that gets stripped the pen needs to be either
disassebled or an act of God to get it apart.( you need to make a little "gear puller"
Because of the problems I and others have had with this pen I stopped making it and also due to the fact that it does not lend itself to modification.
A couple of tips.
Prior to assembling the top put the transmisson on the tranny holder.insert the top on the transmission.(no finial)
make sure the pen revolves freely with no obstruction.If you have any resistance here make sure the bottom barrel is flush with the transission holder.If it is the least bit proud, that could be your problem.
Another point of concern is the inside of the top tube.This needs to be ABSOLUTELY round so the transmission can pass through with enough clearance and no restriction.
If you look at the transmission the only point of contact is the section at the very to where it gets pressed into the final.(Or the other way around, I forget which)
Even if you do get everything correct the customer can still screw it up.
The design is Pi$$ Poor compared to other companies ( and even their own) methods of extending the refill.
It is because of these problems I don't make this style any longer.
I also like the classic look of the pen but went to a "Perfect Fit"( also by the "b" company) which has been virtually trouble free and is easily modifyable.
Here's link to the last time you posted this problem,perhaps you missed something:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7271&SearchTerms=Classic,,American

One more thought,
Try a small rattail file inside the nib occaisionally a bit of plating material gets lodged there.
if only te transmission is stiff without the other parts assembled possibly you do have a bad transmission or damaged it in assembley.From experience it doesn't take much.
If the pen doesn't work right the first time after assembly but the transmission worked fine prior to assembly chances are it was damaged while assembling.(DAMHIKT)

mick

just to let you know, I, Connie, posted this question, not Mike. HE is here more often than I. AND I hadn't read his question or consequent replies. Must you always be a smart@$$?

mick

well crap. I didn't realize on THIS computer (we have 2 in the same room) I was signed in as Mick instead of the Honeymooners. Before anyone else catches my mistake, I'll post it myself. We keep 'logged in' and I failed to notice it was under HIS name, not 'ours'. My apologies to all those who might read this and think Mike was 'faking' a post as me.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by mick
<br />just to let you know, I, Connie, posted this question, not Mike. HE is here more often than I. AND I hadn't read his question or consequent replies. Must you always be a smart@$$?
The post was made by Honeymooners in both cases.
I replied to honeymooners in both casses.
Right now I don't know or care who I am replying to, but to use your own words,
must you always be a dumba$$.
If you can't make the pens by now, get a slimline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom