Homebrew Alumilite/PR Carbera

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlkuehn

Banned
One of my casts I used an Alumilite black pearlized ribbon with aluminum foil and cast it in pearlized PR. The PR is bronze and dark purple swirl. I think I need some new micromesh. I've washed mine to within an inch of its life. Also, the alumilite is a bit harder than the pr, so you can feel the ribbon when you run your finger across the blank because the PR sanded a little deeper. Feels kinda neat, actually.

The kit is satin copper from Ernie

ResinBronzePurpleBlack1_1.jpg

ResinBronzePurpleBlack1_2.jpg
:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbatons

Nice job on the blank. This is a good-looking pen. I wasn't a big fan of the mirror when I saw your previous posts in the photography section, but here it allows one to see around the blank. So, how did you do the ribbon?

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by txbatons
<br />Nice job on the blank. This is a good-looking pen. I wasn't a big fan of the mirror when I saw your previous posts in the photography section, but here it allows one to see around the blank. So, how did you do the ribbon?

I like the mirror, too. I only have to take half the pictures I normally do to see the whole pen. [:)]

With the ribbon, I keep a clean sheet of aluminum foil handy on a cookie sheet when I'm casting cones, beans, worthless wood, whatever. Seems like I always have a little resin left over, so I pour it out on the aluminum foil and spread it as thin and even as I can, then do my thing with the pressure/vac pot. By the time I'm done monkeying with the blanks, the resin I poured onto the foil is setting up to the point of being like warm taffy, so I just roll/fold it up into ribbons or whatever with the foil still stuck to it.

I end up with a 'ribboned' up section of resin/foil, which I cut into 1" strips on the band saw after it gets hard, and then the next time I cast, I just mix a little extra of whatever color I'm working with and drop the ribbons in a mold or two and cast them with the blanks I'm working with. Capiche? [:p]

Originally posted by Marc Phillips
<br />Nice pen....

Is that a mirror it is sitting on or a Photoshop job?

Yup, it's a real mirror! :)

It ends up casting a double reflection, one off the surface of the mirror glass, and one off the actual silvered mirror backing[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom