Home Stabilized Maple Cross Cut Spalt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Many of you remember the Home Stabilization thread that I started a short time ago. Tonight I got a chance to turn one of the blanks that I had stabilized using the homemade vacuum jar, and the polyurethane. This blank orginally weighed only 1 ounce. It was feather light, and was very very punky. To top it off, and too make things more difficult (As far as turning goes) it was a full cross cut. After the vacuum jar, it doubled in wieght.

It turned very well, and I was happy to see the polyurethan had pentrated through the entire blank (Cut and drilled prior to stabilizing). It was nice to turn, though I still did so with care. The biggest issue I noted was the clogging of the sand papers.

Cheers,

James

spalt.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Originally posted by atvrules1
<br />Excellent job James. Thanks tons for keeping us updated on what worked for you. Now off to find some fun wood to stabilize.

You're welcome. Hopefully the info will help out somewhere. We're having a BBQ with some friends tomorrow night, with Corn on the cobb all the way around. Time to set up my food dehydrator for accelrated drying, then the vacuum. Freebies!

James

Efletche

Nice job. I have some heavily spalted maple here too that is extremely light and pourous. Once I find your old thread, I'll need to try this myself.

Fangar

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments. I have another couple similars left. Two ambrosia maples, and one more quarter sawn spalt (This was the last of the cross cut). I blew out 4 blanks prior to stabilizating them. Ya think I would have figures it out sooner!

Duh!

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom