Home made Cebloplast pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Made this pen over the course of a few days. A friend sent me this blank a couple of years ago. Finally got a pen from it. I'll need to spend more time on these type of finials. This one looked right before I sanded it:redface: As always, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 355
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

Nice looking pen! Like the muted hardware with the material. How do the threads feel? I have not tried threading cebloplast, but think it feels a touch "rubbery"...does it connect smoothly or have too much "grab"?

OKLAHOMAN

Excellent job, knowing the low melting point of Cebloplast. The taper on the final might need a little work but who am I to say as I've yet to do a kit less.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking pen! Like the muted hardware with the material. How do the threads feel? I have not tried threading cebloplast, but think it feels a touch "rubbery"...does it connect smoothly or have too much "grab"?
Thanks Jon. GRAB, is the word I would use. Thought about some kind of lube for it might help. Dunno!:confused:

Excellent job, knowing the low melting point of Cebloplast. The taper on the final might need a little work but who am I to say as I've yet to do a kit less.
Thanks Roy. Well, you nailed it. I had to turn the finial on a short piece of cut off and, this was my first time trying this. No excuses, just have to figure it out the next time. You'll see what I mean when yours comes in.:biggrin:

Looks really nice Chuck..I like the whole thing, especially the nib.
Thank you Jeff. I still have some adjustments to make for the next ones.

IPD_Mr

OK Chuck, I am going to be the one to tell you what I don't care for on this one. The overall shape including the nose cone are great. Heck even the amount the refill sticks out through the nose cone looks spot on. What I don't care for is the roundness from the body to the clip ring and then the roundness from the clip ring to the finial. I think that fit should be flush and smooth. Except for that transition your pen looks vintage in material and shape. I think you should make a section with the same threads as the aluminum nose cone so that your pen can be both a rollerball and a fountain pen. In fact I think you should skip your afternoon nap and do that during the heat of the day since you are going to have record highs. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile-big::smile-big::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
OK Chuck, I am going to be the one to tell you what I don't care for on this one. The overall shape including the nose cone are great. Heck even the amount the refill sticks out through the nose cone looks spot on. What I don't care for is the roundness from the body to the clip ring and then the roundness from the clip ring to the finial. I think that fit should be flush and smooth. Except for that transition your pen looks vintage in material and shape. I think you should make a section with the same threads as the aluminum nose cone so that your pen can be both a rollerball and a fountain pen. In fact I think you should skip your afternoon nap and do that during the heat of the day since you are going to have record highs. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile-big::smile-big::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Mike, I always appreciate your critique. The interchangable nib is a great idea. And, you are right on all counts EXCEPT, the part about skipping my nap :frown::biggrin:

Outstanding work. Great blank.
Thank you!

bitshird

Chuck, I've heard that Cebloplast is a Bit(# to thread, I like every thing except the finial, but I'd still use it and wouldn't feel bad showing it off either.

Mapster

Great pen Chuck. I love that Cebloplast, and you made a beauty out of it! I was wondering what you would do with it. Can't wait to see it...

Brooks803

I think it looks great Chuck! I do agree with the peanut gallery about the finial, but I've been there and still have to make a few to get it right! I also have JUST enough of that serpentine cebloplast for me to make a kitless. I'm gonna do ALOT more practicing before trying it though. That stuff is pretty much extinct now.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I like the overall look, but if you want to do a finial change, I would be happy to send you a section to work with, I'll get it in your box tomorrow.

Rick P

Chuck

Could you please say a little about Cebloplast? I tried a search but it keeps trying to show me a urinary catheter company........I was a RN for many years, fairly certain this pen isn't made out of a urinary catheter!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like it Chuck! :highfive:
Thanks Pete!!

Great pen Chuck. I love that Cebloplast, and you made a beauty out of it! I was wondering what you would do with it. Can't wait to see it...
Thanks Marshall, it could have been worse. :biggrin:

I think it looks great Chuck! I do agree with the peanut gallery about the finial, but I've been there and still have to make a few to get it right! I also have JUST enough of that serpentine cebloplast for me to make a kitless. I'm gonna do ALOT more practicing before trying it though. That stuff is pretty much extinct now.
Thanks Jonathon. This stuff is a little different creature.

I like the overall look, but if you want to do a finial change, I would be happy to send you a section to work with, I'll get it in your box tomorrow.
Thanks Neil. If you don't mind parting with it, I'd be happy to receive it. Thanks!

Chuck

Could you please say a little about Cebloplast? I tried a search but it keeps trying to show me a urinary catheter company........I was a RN for many years, fairly certain this pen isn't made out of a urinary catheter!
LOL, I've probably miss spelled it. Try CEBOPLAST

Rick P

Ceboplast...... the search referred me to the IAP library, Unfortunately I cant get past the 3rd page of Mr Wards article without it freezing up the computer. Oh well guess it's like "Governmental accountability" a complete mystery and only available to a select few.:biggrin:

Timebandit

Ceboplast...... the search referred me to the IAP library, Unfortunately I cant get past the 3rd page of Mr Wards article without it freezing up the computer. Oh well guess it's like "Governmental accountability" a complete mystery and only available to a select few.:biggrin:

Cebloplast isnt made anymore. It was made by the Mazzicchelli company for the Scheaffer Pen company back in the 1930's, so this is a vintage material. You wont find much data on it. Some of the colors werent used very much, so it makes them even rarer.

Rick P

Wow cool!!!! thanks Timebandit. So Chuck has presented us a beautiful pen made form a rare material with a ton of history.......could it get any better than that!

Rick P

Been looking at this a bit deeper, neat stuff! If you get a chance I recommend a search and a bit of research. The Mazzuchelli family is still producing Cellulose acetate products, mainly for eye glasses, after 150 years!

Thanks very much Chuck and Timebandit! Any Day I learn something is a good one, today I learned a great deal. The material in this case is fascinating and beautiful.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow cool!!!! thanks Timebandit. So Chuck has presented us a beautiful pen made form a rare material with a ton of history.......could it get any better than that!
Yes, it could be better with a nicer pen than this one.:biggrin: Oh well! Thanks for sharing the info you dug up.

Timebandit

Been looking at this a bit deeper, neat stuff! If you get a chance I recommend a search and a bit of research. The Mazzuchelli family is still producing Cellulose acetate products, mainly for eye glasses, after 150 years!

Thanks very much Chuck and Timebandit! Any Day I learn something is a good one, today I learned a great deal. The material in this case is fascinating and beautiful.

Yes they do still make it, but they don't make cebloplast which was the product name they gave the material the made for sheaffer :( All cebloplast will be vintage

Rick P

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply they still make Cebloplast, that product was discontinued in the 30's as you said. There line up has 3 new products now, all of them biodegradable.

This lead to a lot of really cool research for me.....did you know casein is a milk based product? Heck I even got some design Ideas in the process, ever herd of a "long an short pen"? The lower barrel fits almost entirely in the cap, you screw the two together for a full length pen when writing with it.

I really like learning new stuff, thanks again for the help, today and in the past!

Last edited:

bluwolf

Chuck, that's a good looking pen, and a new style for you. I'm with everyone else on the finial but you knew that.

Mike

Timebandit

Thanks Roy. Well, you nailed it. I had to turn the finial on a short piece of cut off and, this was my first time trying this. No excuses, just have to figure it out the next time. You'll see what I mean when yours comes in.:biggrin:
Chuck, can i ask you why you turned the finial separately from the cap? I turn the finial with the cap so that the diameters will always match up. Just screw the finial into the cap, mount it and turn it as one piece.:biggrin:

Last edited:

glycerine

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply they still make Cebloplast, that product was discontinued in the 30's as you said. There line up has 3 new products now, all of them biodegradable.

This lead to a lot of really cool research for me.....did you know casein is a milk based product? Heck I even got some design Ideas in the process, ever herd of a "long an short pen"? The lower barrel fits almost entirely in the cap, you screw the two together for a full length pen when writing with it.

I really like learning new stuff, thanks again for the help, today and in the past!

Keep looking and you will find instructions on how to make your own casein at home!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, can i ask you why you turned the finial separately from the cap? I turn the finial with the cap so that the diameters will always match up. Just screw the finial into the cap, mount it and turn it as one piece.:biggrin:
I knew there had to be a better way. I just hadn't figured it out. Thanks Justin.

BradG

Very nicely done Chuck! So that's what you were up to

I may have to jump on the bandwagon of using taps and dies on my pens.

It woul certainly be worth to anodise your pen components even if left clear, as not only will it make them stronger, but it will prevent the surface from oxidising over time and going dull

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nicely done Chuck! So that's what you were up to

I may have to jump on the bandwagon of using taps and dies on my pens.

It woul certainly be worth to anodise your pen components even if left clear, as not only will it make them stronger, but it will prevent the surface from oxidising over time and going dull
Thanks Brad. You SHOULD jump on board the wagon. I can only imagine the pens you will come up with. :wink:

Very nice pen. Great job.
Thank you very much.

Top Bottom