133.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Bits of gold for recycling...

Small hobby induction furnace ... melting the gold directly into the crucible.

The resulting 18k gold ingot.

A slice off the ingot was pressed between stainless steel rollers to produce a thinner sheet...

Using a press die cutter to cut away the form of the nib leaves no ragged edges, the remainder can be recycled into the next nib with more scrap gold.

Weight of the nib by itself at 1.12 grams.

A view of 3 nibs nearly completed, with the ingot and several precursor stages in background

Several nearly completed nibs, one of which has been touched by flame and not yet polished up.

Closer look at the 3 newer nibs, before cutting the ink channel and building the point.

A completed nib, with points on both and the ink channel fully cut on the left one only.
(It looks like the one on the right wasn't quite centered, and thus, didn't make the cut.)

As his setup is made to allow him to recycle all of his materials continually, it is merely a situation where he can freely collect the materials he needs and continue to practice his craft, till the results are as near to perfect as can be had. I envy your workshop! :)

najera

Bits of gold for recycling...

Small hobby induction furnace ... melting the gold directly into the crucible.

The resulting 18k gold ingot.

A slice off the ingot was pressed between stainless steel rollers to produce a thinner sheet...

Using a press die cutter to cut away the form of the nib leaves no ragged edges, the remainder can be recycled into the next nib with more scrap gold.

Weight of the nib by itself at 1.12 grams.

A view of 3 nibs nearly completed, with the ingot and several precursor stages in background

Several nearly completed nibs, one of which has been touched by flame and not yet polished up.

Closer look at the 3 newer nibs, before cutting the ink channel and building the point.

A completed nib, with points on both and the ink channel fully cut on the left one only.
(It looks like the one on the right wasn't quite centered, and thus, didn't make the cut.)

As his setup is made to allow him to recycle all of his materials continually, it is merely a situation where he can freely collect the materials he needs and continue to practice his craft, till the results are as near to perfect as can be had. I envy your workshop! :)

Thank you to help me explain, I really don't know how to say it in English

Curly

I understood what the pictures represented. I was hoping to see the dies and press used to punch out the nib and hopefully find out if najera made them or had them made.

Sprung

Impressive! That is very cool - like Curly, I would also love to see some pictures of the tooling too.

Skie_M

Awesome ... let's see if I can figure these out!

A CNC machine setup ... for the 3D mold to press the design into the nib.

Milling a mold from the base material ... is this high-carbon steel or tungsten carbide?

Completed base mold and molded nib blank.

Completed base mold and molded nib blank with design pressed into the surface.

Die press for pressing the design.

And finally, the ultra-thin kerf blade with motor for cutting the slit for the finished nib.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie_W

Najera,

Absolutely superb craftsmanship on your tooling and finished product!

Thank you for the photos. They were self explanatory and showed your process perfectly.

Would like to see some of your finished pens as well.

Top Bottom