Home dyed and stabilized Spanish Oak Burl Long Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a Spanish Oak (Quercus texana ) Burl Long Click I recently made. The wood was pretty punky in areas so I stabilized it with plexi/acetone dyed blue. The finish is CA. Thanks for looking!

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• SpanishOakDyedLong.jpg
    SpanishOakDyedLong.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 490
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Gerry,

Alumilite does not get the penetration in this setting that I am looking for. I have tried and it does a fair job, just not what I wanted. The blank was solid, it just had punky sap wood which takes the plexi/acetone better, at least for this wood.

Hosspen

Very Cool Pen! That's pretty neat that the latin name has Texas in it too. I'd like to try dying and stabilizing some punky spalted live oak wood (from our NC coast) in my pile. What kind of dye did you use and how? I'm not familiar with plexi/acetone, Is that a home mixture or a product you buy as such? Am I understanding you added the dye to the stabilizing mixture before using it? Thanks for any suggestions.

VisExp

That's a nice looking pen and blank. The dye is subtle and really adds to the beauty of the wood. I want to try that kit sometime, I see a lot of segmenting possibilities with it :)

bitshird

Curtis, very nice blank, the pen looks very good, and thanks for the explanation of why the plexi/acetone stabilization it may help some DA like me some day.

spitfire

Thank you Curtis. I am going to start my acetone solution soon so I can try this. Is there an alternative to Transtint dye?

Top Bottom