Home cast carbon fiber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

My first carbon fiber cast that I am pleased with. Not 100% happy with it, but working on it. I have a hard time getting the fiber weave straight on the tube with no bumps or spots were the fiber lifts a little bit. I am building a fixture and process that should cure this. Pen kit is Elegant Beauty in black titanium. Thanks for looking and all comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• carbon fiber 003.jpg
    carbon fiber 003.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 351
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Could you post a more detailed picture of the pen? Maybe others can post advice about the lifting and bumps you're talking about if we could see it better. Me, I've never done carbon fiber but I do think it looks cool.

CaptG

Brian, This blank had no "lifts or bumps" in the fiber, but the weave is not as straight as I would like it to be. It took several tries to get this blank, and it was during this learning curve that I came up with my fixture idea. The carbon fiber sleeve is a "loose" weave that unravels and frays really fast from the ends when you cut it. This stuff is a bugger to work with.

CaptG

Butch, I tried a light coat of adhesive, but I could not get the carbon fiber to slide over the tube with out sticking, pulling, wadding up and just plain not cooperating,lol.
Steve, I put a waxed 1/2 in. dia. steel pin in the end of the c.f. sleeve and ca glued a bead around the tube. When it dried I pulled out the pin and inserted the brass tube and put glue 1/2 inch past tube and cut there when it dried. I then painted the c.f. with a thin coat of casting resin and let it cure. Then into mold and full cast of resin. Fixture I am building will hold c.f. sleeve tight with several tubs inside so I can make sure weave is straight and paint with resin and hold it until resin cures, then trim tubes and I can cast. It should work. If it does, I will write a "how to" with pictures.

Top Bottom