Homage to Toni

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgoldfisher

tgoldfisher

I've never posted any of my work (I have rejection issues
icon7.gif
) , but when Toni posted her millefiori pens I had to give it a try. So after about 100 pounds of clay and countless tutorials I am finally able to make some passable canes of roses, pansies and butterflies (very manly). Its very hard work, but its amazing what you can end up with. For any of you that have tried to make canes you know what I'm talking about. These pens are a bit over baked, but my wife didn't care and she took them right off the lathe. They are both finished with CA. Sorry for the poor photgraphy.

Thanks Toni for opening this door. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Trevor

Attachments

• polypix.jpg
    polypix.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 414
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Strong work. The flowers look great, and they make for beautiful pens...

Not manly but beautiful.:biggrin:

glycerine

Holy cow! Great job!!! My wife has been eyeing Toni's work as well, so I'm going to have to try that soon... Any tips? Did you use a pasta machine? How much do those things cost?

tgoldfisher

How to

I did use a pasta machine which was about $25 dollars. Wouldn't know how to do it otherwise. I broke the first one because I tried to hold it in place with my hand instead of clamping it to the table. They are not very sturdy if you opt for the low end $25 variety. The first thing I had to master was the Skinner Blend process which you can find via a google search. After that I combed Etsy.com for tutorials and bought one for roses from Yonat Dascalu. She also sent me one for butterflies. Then TONS of practice. If you notice Toni's work they are much more densely packed which I haven't figured out how to do, but its a start. The thing I mostly like is that after I put the cane slices on a tube and bake it I can take to the lathe to size it down to the bushings. The stuff cuts and finishes really nicely.

Trevor

thewishman

:star:WOW!:star:

Tons of practice indeed! Congratulations - looks like you have the makings of an artist.

For a more manly look, how about forklifts, skulls and semi trucks?:biggrin:

Mark

My wife has been eyein' them up too. I guess I better start reading the tutorials. I don't think I have that kind of talent. Hopefully my wife can do it... Very nice work. You should never be afraid to show your hard work to your peers. Great job.

tbrock

is there a tutorial out there that explains how you do this. those are fantastic and I would love to know how to do them

Top Bottom