Holm Oak, Streamline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from talbot

talbot

I'd never heard of this wood until recently when a friend gave me a couple of logs.
Holm Oak is actually an evergreen Oak and it works extremely well.
This is my first attempt with it and also with Streamlines and i'm pleased on both counts.
Regards, Bill.
PS:
I'll have a lot of blanks ready soon so will probably want to trade some.

P1010377.jpg

P1010378.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Pretty stuff. Nice job. The bottom picture, looks like there is a wood spirit. Two eyes, the top of his head toward the nib and his beard flowing towards the end of the pen. Well I see it!

toolcrazy

Pretty stuff. Nice job. The bottom picture, looks like there is a wood spirit. Two eyes, the top of his head toward the nib and his beard flowing towards the end of the pen. Well I see it!

I see it too. It must be a northwest thing.

That is some cool grain. Nice pen.

davebrac

talbot,

That is quite interesting I have a few large bits of holm oak drying at present. A whole tree fell down last year and l managed to get a few planks from it, last time l looked it was drying, but the 3" planks had some shake in it:eek: Originally thought was a garden bench from this haul but pens, bowls vases etc have all been discussed as the grain is so distinctive.:)

bitshird

Sorry, Paul, but ganja is not legal in Pennsylvania so I don't see it! :biggrin::biggrin::wink:
Ossifer I habint had nuthin t'day
but I see what almost looks like a Massi warrior's shield or dance mask

I see it too. It must be a northwest thing.

That is some cool grain. Nice pen.
Nah we got some grows wild round here, even better than Morning Glory oils

I see it also, maybe it is a coastal thing. I like that wood and the pen looks great with it.
You been out pullin Morning Glory vines?? or are Y'all eatin the Moon Flower seeds?

bitshird

in all seriousness the pen is really very nice and the wood is pretty, I wouldn't mind getting hold of a few blanks, quite a bit different than any thing that grows around my corner of the planet, actually I'm on another one just a couple of light years distant, but it's uncommonly fertile, we grow a larger crop of idiots every day.

talbot

Thanks for your comments folks.
It's a lovely wood to turn and doesn't appear to have the cross grain/tearout that oaks often throw up. Early days with it however.
Ive seen some bowls and hollow forms from this stuff and they were beautiful so I may try a few myself, as well as more pens of course.
I'll also offer some up for trade when I get them cut.
regards, Bill

talbot

is this wood hard like oak or is it soft like most evergreens??????

I normally work with regular Oak that's fully dried and this piece was not and as such was a pleasure to turn.
Holm Oak is regarded as a hard wood but I think it could be easier to work with than other oaks, certainly if it's always as well behaved as the log I'm working from at the moment.
A vague response I know but I only became aware of this species recently and can't speak with any authority about it.
Regards, Bill

talbot

Bill,
At first I thought you had misspoke on the pen kit.. Streamline, but after looking closer, I'm thinking might be new kit... love the wood and the kit fits perfectly.

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for your comments.
I think the Streamline has been around for a while although it was my first try with it.
I like the kit a lot as its beefier than the Slimline and feels good to write with.
regards, Bill

Top Bottom