Holey Mesquite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drewboy22

Drewboy22

I was commissioned to make a bullet pen out of some mesquite the guy had from his ranch. When I got it turned to size I noticed it had a bunch of holes in it. At first I thought it was trash then I thought about showcasing the worm and bug holes.

I took some medium CA and just poured it on top of the blank and filled in the holes as best I could. It took 3 or 4 pours to really fill them in with no bubbles.
20151116_183127_resized_zpspfw9ffby.jpg

I let the glue cure overnight and the next day I took to it with my skew to even it back out. Very carefully I took the glue all the way back to where I could see wood shavings come off the skew. I hit it with a little sand paper and CA finished it like I would any other pen.

20151117_161701_resized_zps038vuytz.jpg

20151117_161642_resized_zpssrxsh8dt.jpg

I still have a few more small pieces of mesquite left and I hope they have holes too. Looking forward to making another one.

All C&C are welcome - Thanks for reading

Drew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Josh@csusa

Great work!

Looks great! Good job on the worm holes. I like how you left them natural with no fill. Makes it very interesting to look at.:biggrin:

Skie_M

I like filling those holes in with crushed malachite or turquoise ... really brings out the character in the wood. :)

That said, it looks great just the way you made it!

Nice looking pen!

Years ago, someone gave me some smallish Mesquite logs with holes like that. The critters were still alive and munching. You could very faintly hear them crunching away at times.

Bill

Drewboy22

Definitely adds character to it! Great looking pen/blank!

Thanks Avi

Nice looking pen!

Years ago, someone gave me some smallish Mesquite logs with holes like that. The critters were still alive and munching. You could very faintly hear them crunching away at times.

Bill

:bulgy-eyes: If I could hear them crunching away - That thing would be in the fire pit!! :biggrin:

Nice looking pen!

Bill

:bulgy-eyes: If I could hear them crunching away - That thing would be in the fire pit!! :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Microwave did the trick. The wood is beautiful. Still have some.

Bill

Top Bottom